1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

UC Davis Plug-in Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Research Center Survey

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by pineprius, Mar 6, 2018.

1. pineprius

pineprius 15th Hole #4

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Today I received a letter requesting participation in a survey and a lot of personal information about my Prime purchase. Wondering if anyone else has received this survey request and what your response has been??? Claims the director Dr. Thomas Turrentine's survey will better serve our transportation needs. On one hand I would like to drive phev technology, but on the other, I would not trust anyone at the UC system with any of my personal information. I'd appreciate constructive comments. (see phev.ucdavis.edu) for info about the survey which is online.

#1 pineprius, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  2. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I got the survey and responded. It's basically just a survey about the future and what we now and what might be buying next time around. (autonomous, full electric, ...)

As for UC Davis, I'll pretty much respond to any survey out of a college and UC Davis is one of the better ones. I suspect it's for someone's grad work. While there is a little personal information (daily commute), I don't mind.

stuyguy and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. ct89

ct89 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    1) I scanned the site briefly but couldn't find the survey. Was looking for the questions asked.
    2) NEVER give out any personal information.
    3) Also strange that the survey is not on-line?

I've participated in a number of various surveys and when they get to personal information, I ALWAYS refuse to answer. When they give me crap about being required, I simply state that I will not answer any questions requesting personal information. When they state are unable to use my information without a complete set of answers, I simply state that is their choice. Next question.

You can decide what is personal information. For me, commute distance is fine, addresses are not. birthday is absolutely off limits, some 5-10 year age range for demographics is fine.

4. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It is online, there's a URL in the letter and a password to access it.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. stuyguy

stuyguy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I completed the survey as well, skipping a few personal q's

6. Dudley1030

Dudley1030 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I took it. I never answer personal identifying info in a survey.

7. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I also received the letter with the link to the survey. It's appears to be an interesting undertaking to better understand the factors which buyers considered in the purchase of their current vehicle and how they feel about future technologies including autonomous vehicles and self-driving vehicles.

According to the University of California, Davis Plug-in Hybrid & Electric Vehicle Research Center web site:

The Plug-in Hybrid & Electric Vehicle (PH&EV) Research Center launched in early 2007, with the support of the California Energy Commission’s allocation of Public Interest Energy Research (PIER) funds for transportation research. The Center collaborates closely with California utilities, automakers, regulators, and other research institutions such as the Electric Power Research Institute and Argonne National Lab on research aimed at developing a sustainable market for plug-in vehicles.

The Center began with three initial research projects, and with the development of a PH&EV Research Roadmap, identified high-priority research areas for future research, including consumer perspectives and vehicle use, charging infrastructure, fleet market development, battery studies, and the impact of human-machine interfaces on behavior.

There's quite a bit of interesting information on the web site including a study done in 2015 which looked at the sales process for plug-in hybrids versus that for conventional cars. The study flagged a number of issues which PriusChat members have often noted, including dealers having poor understanding of the product, poor sales support, and inability to deal with plug-in hybrid customers whose motivations often differ from those of conventional car buyers.

Here's just one chart from that study:

Ancillary-Sales-Support-Services.jpg

The study also looks at the comparative amount of time it takes to go through the sales process from beginning to delivery, and the relative profitability to the salesperson and dealership.

purchase-time-at-dealer.jpg

The study goes on to note:

(1) Tesla spends ~67% and 25% more time with buyers at delivery than dealers of non-premium
    and premium makes, respectively.

(2) Shorter upstream processes means Tesla buyers may be more receptive to extra time
    and attention at delivery.

I'll be interested in seeing PriusChat members' comments about this 2015 study.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thank you for the link:
    • rebate to the sales/dealer - it needs to be modest as we don't want "over selling" by promising more than the vehicle can deliver. I prefer a ratio of 20-to-1 or 50-to-1 ... enough for a nice meal.
    • dealer needs 24x7 public chargers - I am OK with a parking fee if nothing else to state 'we are here for you.' It can also add to the service department income. So locate it at the service department parking area.
    • charging rate metric - PEVs come in 3.6 kW, 7.2 kW, and 'smoke the cables' Tesla. Today they can charge a parking fee but we really need something proportional to the charging rate.
    Bob Wilson