1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ugh so I got rear ended again!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kutanks, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Kutanks

Kutanks Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was picking up my gf and some lady in a trailblazer rammed into the back of my car at a stop sign. The since it was an SUV she completely missed the shock absorber and punched a huge hole throughout the bumper and bumper support. Also dented the trunk. Two estimates I got from body shop were $3000 and $5000 but the insurance adjuster is saying its only going to be around $2000. Also my car is a 2004 with 130k miles, bluebook is $5000 but the insurance adjuster guy says its worth $7000 so they aren't even close to totaling it.

2. desmondlee

desmondlee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I was rear ended (2007 Prius) - estimates were around $2000 with the note that damages could be higher after they remove the bumper - when finally repaired it was almost $5800.

3. LoKey

LoKey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just got mine done too. Wasn't terrible. $1500... Lady was texting and driving. I found it a lot easier to go thru a preferred vendor. Adjusters are more apt to comply with the quotes.

4. Kutanks

Kutanks Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah last time I got rear ended it cost about 1,700 for the bumper and repairing the trunk. This time is a lot worse because the other car missed the bumper support and hit the subframe behind it. Just unfortunate because I am in the middle of finals at Boston University and don't have time to play games with Liberty Mutual. Hoping that it's fixable because I can barely afford this car being a student. I think it's cursed tho. It's been in 4 minor collisions that have gone through insurance. Only 1 was my fault and I've become a very cautious driver since then. All said and done my insurance company has had to pay out about 12 grand to keep this car on the rd. Including replacing a windshield and my passenger side window after my car was broken into.

5. Kutanks

Kutanks Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To update the insurance now is paying $5000 to fix the car. Lol wish they'd just cut me a check.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We might have to start a new club. "Been rear ended twice"

This car seems like a rear end collision magnet. I got hit hard too and pushed me into the guy in front of me damaging both bumpers and the rear shock absorber. Elderly man that was texting too. Never even touched his brakes or looked up.

Must be its such a small car but the brake lights seem pretty bright. I installed a motorcycle blinker circuit (it makes the motorcycle headlight blink) into the rear center brake light. Now when I step on the brake the outside brake lights comes on as usual but the center brake light now blinks 3 times and then stays on till you release the pedal.
    Its quite noticeable now I am stopping or stopped.

7. Kutanks

Kutanks Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any pics of what you did to install that? Seems like a good idea. I think that other drivers get impatient driving behind prii for whatever reason.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can buy the little motorcycle circuit on ebay. I just pulled the plastic panel off the back of the hatch area and cut into the brake light circuit.