1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ugly body of the prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by trivialjoe, Feb 5, 2008.

1. trivialjoe

trivialjoe New Member

Why didn't toyota put the toyota prius's engines in a toyota camry type body? The body of the prius is not very appealing to most people. If toyota would have used a regular body styling like the camry they could sell more priuses.
    Does toyota wants cusomers to have to choose between a ugly looking prius that gets good gas mileage or a good looking non-prius car that only gets average gas mileage?
    I do not understand the logic of car companies' car body designs.

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Your blatant troll attack wasn't well thought out.

Obviously, you haven't heard of CAMRY-HYBRID.

Geez!

3. mkiefer83

mkiefer83 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You took the words out of my mouth, John.

4. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've never understood remarks that put down how the Prius looks. To an unitiated eye my Prius looks like my old Ford Focus. I didn't buy my Prius for its body style (except that it has a very low drag coefficient), but I really love how it looks. I like the Camry and new Honda Civic body styles but the Prius is truly in a class by itself.

5. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. trivialjoe

trivialjoe New Member

Camry hybrid does not get near as good of gas mileage as the toyota prius. The Camry hybrid only gets normal gas mileage like most cars.

If toyota wanted to they could have made the prius with a body styling like the pontiac G5's body styling, so I was wanting to know why they did not.

7. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Trivial...,

Well, the body on the Prius is there, because the car is not designed to be trivial with respect to fuel economy, and the need to package the battery inside the passenger compartment. In early Prius developement, they found the battery needed temperatures similar to humans for a long life. So, with the battery behind the rear seat, the seats are all more upright. Which required the very good coeficient of drag for good fuel economy, as the frontal area of the car was larger than say a Corolla or Camry. Other car companies are adopting the more upright seating too. I think I have heard the term "Command Seating" to describe this from Ford.

You know we have no control over the physics of the air. That is in God's hands. You may remember the Rusian Buran space shuttle looks just like the Nasa Space Shuttle. This is because of those same physics, and the same operational envelopes of the two shuttles.

Back in the 1920's and 30's there was an art movement called the Art Nouveu. It was based allot on the streamlined shapes of airplanes, trains and cars of the time, which were again designed to deal with those very same air physics. The Prius is just the 21 st century Art Nouveu. It does away with the very busy forms of some 1990's cars, and it does it for a functional reason.

8. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Hi Trivial..,

Well you are wrong onthe Camry Hybrid. People often confuse it with the I-4 Camry as it has the same engine block. But the Camry hybrid has the accelleration performance nearly on par with the V6, and compared to the V6, the Camry hybrid has dramatic fuel economy performance improvement.

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Form follows function. The Prius looks the way it does mostly because of aerodynamics. Sure, it could look like a Pontiac, but it wouldn't get the same mileage. As for hybrid sales, the distinctive Prius has done far better than the 'regular' looking Honda.

10. Lola'05

Lola'05 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

New and better takes getting used to. I felt the same way when I was researching a new car. That is so different. But the stats sold me and now my baby's body style looks beautiful. I wouldn't have her any other way. Well, maybe with a plug in.

11. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have to say, Trivial, that the Pontiac G5 looks like...well...a Pontiac. A long time ago I got a college degree in Aeronautical Engineering (in a galaxy far, far away). The materials, weight, and form of the Prius tries to minimize the amount of horsepower it takes to move the car through the air. Drag on something traveling through the air is not linear. Go 50 MPH and you might have 100 lbs of drag (that is a guess) -- go 60 MPH and you might have 150 lbs of drag. Go 65 MPH and you might have 300 lbs of drag. The Prius can't escape basic physics but it can pick a body style that causs the least amount of drag.

Truth be told, it actually isn't the most aerodynamic design. Car manufacturers have to meet safety guidelines that cause the Prius shape to be less than perfect for drag purposes. Look at some of the MPG contests where you get some truly alien shapes if you want to see things approaching perfection, but they aren't easy to build and the crash-test ratings might not be that good either. Interesting compromises the automakers make.

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Realistically, the argument of "ugly" is pointless.

Prius is a hatchback. So of course, it looks nothing like a sedan.

Look at how silly the FUV looks. With the aerodynamics of a brick, those drawn to the curves of a sports car want nothing to do with them.

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Giving you the benefit of the doubt here I'll take your question seriously...and turn it back on you...

Simultaneous with the release of the Toyota Prius (hybrid) you could buy the Honda Civic Hybrid. While the HCH gets slightly lower FE than the Prius and costs a little less it was DRAMATICALLY outsold by the Prius. Well over 500k Prii have been sold in the US. Many people like the unique styling of the Prius...those who found it unacceptible could get an HCH.

As someone else mentioned the body style is part and parcel to the excellent FE...the Cd for the Prius is much better than for the Camry or Corolla. The Prius is designed to be roomy on the interior though smaller on the exterior and lighter overall. Stick the Prius HSD in a Camry body and the FE would drop as would performance due to it being less aerodynamic and heavier.

Finally, the Camry Hybrid gets excellent FE, and offers many advantages over other "regular cars". Many Camry drivers routinely see over 40mpg while getting V6-like performance.

14. carlbikes

carlbikes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Who wants a hybrid that looks like everything else??? That's one of the many reasons that I did not seriously consider a Civic Hybrid! The Prius is beautiful!!!! Who could ask for more?????

15. moregas

moregas New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    And I thought that my Prius was nice looking. What am I going to do now?

16. Dngrsone

Dngrsone Underwhelmed, to say the least

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I like the body style. It is vaguely reminiscent of the pregnant rollerskate body style of the Honda CRX, which was one of the first high-mileage ICE cars, BTW.

17. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    First, the Camry hybrid actually gets 33/34 MPG which is considerably better than most cars.

Second, you may have answered your own question as to why Toyota chose the unusual shape of the body. The Prius used to look more conventional as shown below...
    [​IMG]

It didn't sell as well back then, nor did it get as good of gast mileage. One of the reasons it changed is because the kamback design of the more modern Prius is a lot more aerodynamic which boosts the MPG. Thus when you ask, "Why don't they make a more normal looking car that's just as efficient?", well, for practical purposes they can't! The unique look is one of the keys to efficiency.

That said, I love how the Prius looks, and its styling is often cited as one of the primary reasons the car sells so well vs. other hybrids.

18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, it did. Every one of them was snapped up quickly.

Toyota limited production until a profit was possible and the market figured out what hybrids were, then stuck to a quota due to a pending battery lawsuit.

As for the efficiency, it was only a few MPG lower than the current model. With my experience, that comes to a difference of about 3 MPG.

19. deconsumption

deconsumption Junior Deconsumer

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    eye of beholder I suppose

slightly "out of the box" design (even other than for aerodynamics) is one thing that appealed to me......

I gave up my 03 Ford Mustang convertible as image is becoming less and less important....an illusion one might say grasshopper........

but then again I'm only on day 3, honeymooning and so in love

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    [​IMG]

Maybe because 1,000,000 + Prius owners aren't crying about its look?
    Maybe the 1,000,000 + Prius owners think Camrys & Pontiacs look dumb?
    Maybe the Camry MPG would be closer to the Prius if it had less drag like the Prius (due to it's subjectivly ugly / beautiful appearance) ??
    Maybe you can get a cardboard cut out of a Camry and place it over the Prius, if you ever sell your hummer and buy a Prius.