1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Uh oh... Hood cable broken! Is there an easy way to manually get the hood open?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Priusyipee, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Went to check the oil yesterday and no response from the hood release cable. Lots of slack. Since the cable is intact on the dash side, I assume that it snapped at the latch. The few discussions here do not include pictures and one member asked to be messaged to get the "fix" and others did not receive a reply.

It's not an emergency (yet) but I would like to get into the engine compartment. I just ordered a new cable but would like to rig a temporary system to gain access until I can make a permanent repair. Any ideas? 2005 Prius with 305,000 miles.

2. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You've confirmed it's not the lever underneath the driver's dash? On mine I accidentally dislodged the "ring" that seats the tensioner wire in the plastic lever to release the latch. There are two parts IIRC - one that holds the outer sleeve and one that holds the inner wire. I'd take a close look at this first.

Otherwise my first guess is to remove the bottom grill on the front of the car and reach in and up and see if it can be released this way. Also might search for the same problem for Corollas, Matrix's and Echos and see if something pops up. The Prius shares so many parts with these cars it might give you the info you need (I followed a tutorial for a Corolla to fix my clock spring and it worked great!).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope, the lever under the dash that holds the wire and the head of the wire are in perfect condition. when checking the tension on the wire I was able to pull about 5" into the cabin before I stopped. Confirmation that the cable is broken. My attack will be to remove the 3 bolts through the grille (thanks, nssdiver!) and open the hood. Ordered the cable and looking forward to getting this done!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I have exactly the same issue. I messaged nssdiver, but no response so far (this is why we should post solutions publicly). Did you finally get this resolved? I kind of need to get into the engine compartment.

5. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes! Resolved last year but broke again within 2 months. I learned my lesson and the second time around bought a genuine Toyota replacement cable. No issues since then. It is a pain in the arse to get the hood open. I had to access the mechanism through the front grille to remove (3) 10 mm bolts that secure the unit to the frame. You can see them through the grille in an offset "T" pattern. You may need to spray penetrating oil on the bolts before you begin. Once the bolts are out, there is just enough slack to raise the hood enough to get access so as to see the latch. I had to put a slit through the plastic shrouding as the latch will remain attached when the hood is raised. It was done neatly through the narrowest area so it is not readily visible with the hood open. Some Prius owners have bent the plastic enough to work the latch through. I don't have that kind of patience :eek:. Once the hood is open, remove the latch from the hood, reattach it to the frame and replace the cable. You will have to peel back the plastic fenderwell liners to gain access when you replace the cable so that it is routed correctly. An extra set of hands will help!

bisco, Mendel Leisk and Prodigyplace like this.
  6. a_gray_prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I appreciate the reply. Can you explain the slit in the plastic shroud part? Does it involve getting something between the hood and the grille? I ask because I had hood latch corrosion issues despite regularly lubricating the latch and the hood sits pretty flush to the body where the latch is.

It's freezing temperatures outside and I'm a little hesitant to start the job until I have a pretty clear picture of what's going on.

7. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just came home from work. The weather is pretty rough tonight. I will get a picture of the shroud before I leave for work in the morning and upload it here. The car is outside and I won't be able to get a good picture in the dark.

m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. a_gray_prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I appreciate it.

9. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You mean you don't want to go back out into the torrential downpour of slush? Agree, pretty rough!

Priusyipee and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Will get detailed pics this afternoon of everything.

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The reason it broke was it was never lubricated. Spray lube the hell out of the new mechanism after installing it and then shoot some spray lube into the drivers side key hole on the door. Someday battery will die and you will need the mechanical key to open the door. Lots of folks then find that lock is hopelessly corroded.
    Lube the door and hatch hinges and hatch lock. Hatch lock goes bad too from lack of lube.

Basic car maintenance 101.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for the reminder, edthefox5. It's only been 3 years with my 2016, but I better try the manual key and see if it works.
    WD-40 is your friend. Locks & hinges.

13. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am having trouble getting my pictures to upload. The site claims that the file is too big. It would not even take one picture. I will keep trying... :(

Same result with my phone. I can't get the photos to upload. Will try to start a conversation with you. Maybe they will upload in that format.

#13 Priusyipee, Nov 11, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    m.wynn likes this.
  14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Spray some lube in the hole first. It’s going to be cranky. While your at it go to Lowes and make a copy of that key and put it away or in a metal key hide box under the car. You lose the fob or fobs your screwed.
    Shit happens. Apparently based on this forum it happens a lot.

Much much better product than WD40 it’s called Corrosion Stop Preventer available at Home Depot.
    It doesn’t stink like WD and is a heavier viscosity than WD so it stays where you spray it. It’s grease unlike WD which is basicly kerosine, stinky kerosene. Very poor lubricant.
    I use CSP constantly on my cars and the house and we buy it by the case at work. If it moves it gets sprayed. It does exactly what it says it does prevents corrosion.

It’s made by PB BLASTER and the can says CSP on it.

Spray all the house door hinges they will last years longer. I spray a little bit on my tools after using them.
    In Florida you throw your tool in the tool box dry you go back 3 months later and it’s corroded.

I use it on my guns too. If you don’t keep your guns lubed up down here they corrode too.

C Wagner and Starship16 like this.
  15. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Sounds good. Thanks very much.

C Wagner and edthefox5 like this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I like to use up what I have. I have some garage door chain and roller lube, goes on liquid and gels. Think I'll take a look at ours, see if I can figure out where the rub points are. (y)

C Wagner likes this.
  17. a_gray_prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  18. Locksmith

Locksmith Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    WD-40 is bad for locks! It dries and causes crap to stick. Use a light spray oil such as tri-flow.

C Wagner and edthefox5 like this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I recall from my motorbike days: hang the (sheathed) cable vertical, create a little funnel with tin foil, drizzle in oil, a drop or two at a time, till it started trickling out at the bottom.

I don't think full removal would be warranted with an installed cable, but maybe a variation on that theme.

#19 Mendel Leisk, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  20. a_gray_prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I want to thank @nssdiver and @Priusyipee for their help in identifying the three retaining bolts for the hood latch that need to be removed to open the hood.

Here are some well-lit pictures I took of mine for posterity's sake. I haven't actually removed them yet - my parts haven't come in yet at the moment.

Upper right and center bolts:
    upper_right and center.jpg

Left bolt:
    left.jpg

C Wagner likes this.