1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Uh oh! I left the light on in my car overnight!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by StarBrite310, Jan 30, 2006.

1. StarBrite310

StarBrite310 ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I left my little reading light closest to the driver side on overnight. From about 9:30pm till 8:45 am. It's not a very bright light to begin with which is why I didn't notice I left it lit. The car started and seems to be fine this morning, but do you think I hurt the battery? I am so upset :(

2. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I don't think you've ruined anything. It was a small drain and it only happened once.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Trust me on this one: if you'd have done anything to harm the car it would have let you know. Perhaps as a warning at first, but it certainly goes bizerk before it dies. Mine did. And even after that whole incident, a quick jump and he was right back to his fun-loving self again.

5. StarBrite310

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

Why did yours die!? What happened?

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I hvae played it back in my head and here's what I think happened.

My wife and I were taking a bike ride. I wanted to check the tire pressure so I pulled my air pump out of Priapus and used the power outlet to touch up the tires. After putting the pump back, I opened the passenger door, reached over and punched the (POWER) button. I might have punched it twice. This might have cycled it to off and then into 'accessory' mode. The funny thing is that I would not have been able to lock the doors with the fob in my pocket and the car on. So that part's still fuzzy.

In the evening, my neighbor knocked on my door indicating that my car was freaking out. It was regularly giving two beeps - one high and one low. I couldn't power up to shut it off. Lights were blinking, even the [Park] button was blinking amber rather than green. There was nothing I could do. I tried to jump it with my wife's car but couldn't do it. By this time it was very dark outside.

In the morning I called AAA. The guy showed up, hit it with the jumper box and the alarm immediately went off. It's supposed to do that but is scared the bajeebus out of me and the jumper guy. Once I was in, I powered him up, shut him down, powered him up and drove it around to make sure the littler battery was recharged.

The hybrid battery is just fine. I drained the little battery. As for what the precise chain-of-events were that led to it, I simply wasn't paying attention and was merely going through the motions without thinking. That's why I can't precisely remember exactly how many times I hit the (POWER) button or whether I tried to lock the doors. But in a nutshell, that's what happened.

7. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I left one of the doors slightly ajar all night and in the morning the 12V battery was flat. As far as I know it did not give any warning about this but then I might not have heard or seen an alarm if it was in the depth of the night as my car is in a garage at night.
    It was an important lesson for me for two reasons:

I'd made only very short journeys in cold weather for a few days beforehand. If you make only short journeys turn off you door lights!

I now make sure I lock the car each night because if it won't lock itself you know you've left one of the doors slightly open. If you don't slam the back door fairly hard it will sometimes remain slightly open. I haven't got SKS so I don't know how you check whether you're locked on a car with SKS.

8. StarBrite310

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    So basically does everyone who is reading this agree that my battery is most likely fine? I am just so concerned because the car is only a week old! :unsure:

9. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Grandma, what big nutshells you have! :)

10. bnlfanmatt

bnlfanmatt Member

I've left the overhead light on for an entire night without a problem. Like most of the others, I agree that you won't have a problem, b/c the drain will come from your 12v battery.

11. StarBrite310

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    What's the 12v battery? Hehe. And how do I charge it up again?

12. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    If the car started, you have proof that you didn't even run the 12V battery down far enough to damage it.

I've run the battery down twice by leaving lights on all night, so that it wouldn't start. This is on an '04. It still run fine.

Relax.

13. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    It's fine. Enjoy the new car.

14. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    what he said and also the small 12V battery is not expensive to replace (it's a normal car battery) the batteires that are expensive to replace are very well protected by layers and layers and will not get hurt by forgetting the lights on, so you have not damaged them! So don't worry and enjoy the ride

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It won't die. My dad left the hatch ajar overnight with the cargo area light on (I assume dome lights too?) and my battery was fine the next day. I've also left the maplight on by accident. It's waay to dim for its own good and it doesn't focus. The Camry's one is waaay better. Anyway, my 12V battery died on 21st January 2005 for no apparent reason.

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Works for me too! :D :p

17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's the 12 volt lead acid battery that is the back on the right side of the trunk area behind an easily removable panel and is black colored. It's equivalent to the 12 volt battery on a regular car (usually found under the hood).

From what I've heard about lead acid battery chemistry, it's bad to deep discharge them.

It's really too bad that Toyota didn't put in a feature to keep from draining the battery due to leaving map lights on (I've griped about this in another thread) and other scenarios. Both my Nissans (02 Maxima I no longer have) and my 04 350Z have features to automatially turn off the interior lights, map lights and vanity lights after 30 minutes if you accidentally leave them on or leave a door open. It's documented in their manuals it's helped me many times.