1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

UK 2007 Crack on Screen

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by wedmonds, Aug 3, 2010.

1. wedmonds

wedmonds New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi People,

London U.K calling, I have a Prius 2007 T3 that I would like to replace the screen on.
    The screen itself work and displays everything Ok but the touch screen side of it is knackered due to the previous plumb of an owner sticking a sat nav sucker on the front of it. Its controllable via the steering wheel but wondered what the options are for replacing the screen.

Toyota dealer said £2,800!

surely the whole unit does not need to be replaced for a crack?

Thanks all!

2. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I assumed you meant the windscreen initially, but you're clearly talking about the multi-function display.

The problem is that resistive touchscreens rely on two very thin sheets of translucent, but conductive, plastic that are very close to but not actually touching. Stick a suction cup on it and it'll pull them apart and break the very delicate conductors. The conductors have to be very closely aligned and they're not readily serviceable. It's likely that the whole screen display component would have to be replaced.

As far as Toyota are concerned, the entire multi-function display - including most of the control circuit boards - is a non-serviceable unit, which is why the dealer wants £2,800. For comparison a US discounted parts-only price is $3,400, excluding taxes.

You may be able to find a working unit from a crashed car at a breaker. Tell them the age and model of your car - I believe the T4 and T Spirit of this age have a different resolution screen and I don't think the units are necessarily compatible. I think all cars prior to the December 2005 model change had the lower-res screen. If the V-shaped bar in the grille has chrome-effect coating it's after the model change, older cars had a body-coloured bar here. The older cars also had smoked lenses for the brake lights while the later cars have clear ones.

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I believe someone on the UK Prius site has posted a number of links above your enquiry, including a few relevant ebay items.

4. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you are handly with a screwdriver you can buy an MFD from any Prius (make sure you get a high resolution unit from 06-09) and just swap over the screen itself.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't mean to be unhelpful but in my experience as an North American, once something becomes "knackered" due to the "previous plumb of an owner" you might as well throw the whole thing in the dust bin.

Nice to know that high cost of dealership repair extends world wide. Hope you can use some of the suggestions here, and become Unknackered.

6. jim00seven

jim00seven Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jelloslug,
    Do you know of any DIY directions for just replacing the LCD screen itself instead of the whole unit? I have the same "suction cupped" LCD problem.

Thanks, Jim7

7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Not Jelloslug, but I repaired my MFD a couple of months ago (cracked solder joint not LCD screen) myself using instructions available on the net. The removal instructions as well as a replacement MFD are available at:
    Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicle PHEV (email Steve to see if shipping "over the pond" is a problem)
    You can get just the screen half of the MFD if that saves money and swap it for that section of the MFD and the disassembly instructions are at:
    Prius MFD (also has links to alternate removal instructions)
    Which are what I used to repair my MFD.
    Good luck.
    JeffD