1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

UK Model History?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ethos, Jun 6, 2007.

1. ethos

ethos New Member

Can anyone point me to a history of version changes of UK models, please? I am trying to decide if I should buy new or used and would like to understand what features I would miss out on if I bought say a 2004 or 2005 model instead of a current one?

Many thanks!

2. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius Mk I (saloon) was available from 2000 to 2003, so X reg to 53 reg. No changes during this time.

Be aware that there are some imports of the Japanese 1997-99 model around - easily spotted by rubber bumpers and lack of spoiler, and on the inside by Japanese computer screens. This earlier version looks largely the same, but is less powerful, and has a more primitive battery system.

You may want to note that Priuses registered before April 2001 will be paying over £100 more per year in VED than newer cars, as they predate the CO2-based taxation system.

The Prius Mk II (hatchback) was introduced at the start of 2004 (so 53 reg onwards). During 2005 there were some minor improvements to soundproofing and handling. Not sure how you spot this.

A slightly facelifted version came in in spring 2006 - look out for the silver grill and brake lights and hybrid badges on the wings. This added higher-res display, new dash and steering wheel trim, enhanced satnav and phone system, more rear headroom, and some new colours. Also a few more options like rear camera + intelligent parking assist.

There's not a huge amount of difference between the 2004 and 2006 versions. It makes the biggest difference to the T-Spirit, because the higher-res screen helps the satnav, and the satnav gains RDS-TMS.

The Mk I is a lot cheaper, and pretty much as efficient, but it's a smaller car, and not as practical as the hatchback. And I personally reckon it's hideous...

A good site for this info for every car is http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/. See the Car-by-car breakdown section.

3. ethos

ethos New Member

Thanks, that is most helpful.