1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

UK owner Gen2 prius aftermarket 2din unit help? or aux input

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by glyndwr, Apr 2, 2015.

1. glyndwr

glyndwr Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi all,

afterr abit of help here if possible.

My son has recently passed his driving test and has started driving my prius. He is asking for an aux input for his iphone play his music whilst driving.

Now i dont want to break the bank doing this as i dont know when hell get his own car, and i`ll never use it afterwards, so what are my options to get a decent sound on a reasonable price.

I have a 2004 T4 prius with jbl 6 disk changer in the headunit with NO nav.

I have bought him a cassette adaptor for him to connect the ipgone to the headphone socket of the cassette adaptor, but i must asmit the sound quality is shocking, really poor.

So, what options do i have?
    1. I have read alot on various threads about 2 din stereos, but got confiused as to what additional cabling i would require. If it were a case of just buying a 2din headunit and plug and play with a metra double din dash kit i would buy one, but some say extra cables are required.
    I dont mind if i cant use the sterring wheel to change volume etc, s i mostly use the radio buttons anyway, old habits die hard.

2. buy a DAB sonichi radio adaptor, this also has aux inout for iphone or ipod/mp3, and is £50, very easy to set up apparantly and gives dab radio too, which i would use.

3. ebay aux input adaptors like grom etc... or the cheaper ebay ones that will work with the prius gen2, again about £50.

Which way to go is the best, easiest cheapest and sound reasonably good too, any advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What about one of those FM transmitters? They're cheap (£10 upwards depending on quality) and legal. Saves all the messing around.

Britprius likes this.
  3. glyndwr

glyndwr Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi gents, I think the sonichi dab radio works on the fm modulation type so that may be the best option, at least that way I can also listen to the dab radio, as I do like listening to the radio, actually never listen to the cd or tape deck.

Anthony.

4. miso03

miso03 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you were not satisfied with the cassette adaptor, than I can guarantee you, that you'll get even worse sound quality from FM transmitter. That is definitely not the way to go. I can recommend you DICE Adapter [you can search for the installation instructions here on PC] which you can get from eBay at around 50$.

5. Flyte

Flyte New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In my experience this couldn't be farther from the truth. We used an FM transmitter in our Corolla and it sounded perfectly good; far better than any tape player could achieve. The only exception is when you drive into an area in which the frequency you're using is used by another station. In this case, you just have to change the frequency by a notch or two, and you're fine again.