1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

UK petrol/diesel use drops 15% in 3 years

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by GrumpyCabbie, Oct 5, 2011.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Who said a recession is good for the environment? Well it appears it is. UK petrol/diesel use has dropped by 15% since 2008;

BBC News - Drivers 'cut petrol use by 15%' research suggests

So everybody is skint but the air we breath is a little bit cleaner. ;)

2. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My petrol usage has dropped by close to 50% since buying the Prius. Was around 30mpg now almost 60mpg.

3. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well mine has too :)

The article didn't really pick up on that. We have had a recession and a subsequent slow down but how many of the SUV's that were popular in the 1990's have now been scrapped - esp with the scrappage scheme a couple years ago. Personally we have also down sized our 2nd car twice, now running a 1.0 litre IQ.

It's a tricky one for the Government as they're losing tax revenue but as a Country we are getting closer to being self sufficient in oil again so less imports.

4. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have noticed a lot more cars going slower (I guess they are cutting their fuel usage), and more cyclists.

5. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've really noticed it. Have done this job for 10 years in the same town and the last year I have really noticed that the roads are quieter during the day (after rush hour). There are some junctions where in the past it was nearly impossible to even attempt a right turn across the traffic at any time of the day (except the early hours), whereas now I can pull up, glance and turn - no waiting. The roads are like they were on a Sunday morning. Great for me, maybe not so good for the Country. I've also noticed more bikes too.

6. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    from 36mpg to an average 89mpg for me, still doing about 18k a year...

7. Roadburner440

Roadburner440 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You know it is funny... In 2008 when I came back from deployment I bought my first bicycle because of the gas prices (a 2009 Trek 1.2). At the time we had just bought a SRT-8 (a year prior), and I said I would keep that car till gas went past $5 a gallon.. I rode my bicycle for years, and people thought I was crazy even after gas prices went back down as I had gotten used to it and I actually enjoyed the ride.. Now like you guys I see cyclists everywhere on the road, and people driving slower. Guess it just takes awhile for people to catch on. Maybe by the time we purchase our first full EV vehicle hybrids will finally catch on with the main stream.... 89mpg is really darn good!!! You doing that in the Prius Flaninacupboard? My average is now almost 270mpg, but that is in the Volt since I only drive it using EV mode. I could not fathom getting that in our Prius, as my own personal best was 62mpg at the pump.. Average though is about 52-54mpg per tank. To think I thought that was good, lol.

EDIT: Nevermind.. Just noticed your signature.. How is the PHEV kit on the Prius holding up? I looked at doing that to ours before deciding to just get rid of the truck we were not using for the Volt.. I was worried about potential problems with modifying the car.

8. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Working fine at the moment, but did have some problems (faulty BMS which caused a couple of cells to fail).
    I'd love a Leaf, and the Volt/Ampera is interesting too. sadly the Leaf is $47,900 and the Ampera will be over $51,000 here. Even at $8.20 a gallon i can't make that maths work....

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oddly, even though unemployment is fairly high in the boston area, it seems there is more traffic than ever. and, as someone mentioned, sales of gm suv's are up 33%.

10. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I just checked the US data -- from first half of 2008 to first half of 2011, gasoline consumption fell just 3.6%. So the situation for the US as a whole is nothing close to the UK.

It is not clear that the data are comparable, but the official unemployment rate in the UK is about a percentage point below that in the US, 8% versus 9%. But obviously that's going to vary a lot by area.

A 15% drop in three years is really pretty startling. There most be something more than just unemployment driving that. The cited article says record fuel prices, whereas here gas prices are well below the recent highs.

How fast are they rising in the UK? I see one chart that seems to show a 44% increase in the last two years, from around 1 pound to 1.40 pounds per liter (or litre, given the circumstances) of diesel. If I did the math right, that's equivalent to going from US$6 to US$8.50 a gallon. In a weak economy, yeah, I bet that would reduce some demand all right.

Whereas the US peak was about $4.40 for regular gas in early 2008, and the current national average is around $3.40 per gallon. Thus making it, in the mind of the US consumer, a dandy time to buy a gas guzzler.

Bet it changes the mix of cars you see on the road in the UK. And by that I mean, more upscale vehicles.

11. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Then perhaps its the new taxation system for 'gas guzzlers' we have over here. I think it was introduced a few years ago and there is an additional new car sales tax for low mpg vehicles such as Range Rovers. This is reduced on a sliding scale to £0 for high mpg vehicles like the latest Prius. In addition to this the annual road tax licence you must have for every vehicle you run ranges from £0 for the Prius to about £500 a year for a Range Rover/Merc S600 etc.

Back in the mid 1990's when petrol here was as expensive as it is now in the US, there were many SUV's on the road. As fuel has steadily got more expensive in real terms, less of these vehicles were purchased new AND they will now be about 10-15 years old and at end of life. I guess they're being traded in for smaller, more economical vehicles. Same applies to car choices in my trade. Back in 2002 when I started many drivers had bigger V6 automatics which were lucky to get mid 20's mpg (UK). Now a diesel automatic that gets 30mpg UK is looked on as extravagant.

Much that I disliked it at the time, it appears this type of structured taxation in favour of low polluting/high mpg vehicles has worked. Great :) That's 15% less oil money winging its way to Iran.

12. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    And in the US, by contrast, fuel taxes and all other vehicle-related fees and taxes do not even cover the cost of roads. (Or, at least, they did not come close when I checked that a couple of years ago.) Yet there was some rumbling that the Tea Party wanted to cut the Federal fuel tax, to reduce it from the onerous rate of 18.4 cents per gallon (gas) or 24.4 cents per gallon (diesel). State taxes run higher, so the average total tax is about 45 cents for gas, 50 cents for diesel. This does not seem to me to be either a smart way to operate currently or a smart way to prepare for the future.

Whereas per Wikipedia, you Brits pay about 0.60 pounds gas tax per litre, plus 20% VAT on top of that. Which works out to US$3.60 per (US) gallon, plus the VAT. Boy howdy, that's a pretty stiff tax.

13. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The recession and tax policy definitely have reduced oil use in the UK.

The question is has the British government put that money to good use or simply pissed it away.

14. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Pissed it away of course! :D

But they do appear to be running a tight ship at the moment which is how we're managing to hold onto our AAA credit rating ;)

1 person likes this.
  15. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I know in my state, we're struggling to cover road expenses and that includes money from ARRA. Although, they are attempting to build a bunch of fly-overs to alleviate the "cluster f***" right around the corner from me where I95/295/495 all come together. It's going to be around a 3 year inconvenience that I get to experience daily :(

It probably didn't help that last year they started to repave one of the roads near me, and had to use the cold patch on the road because temps dropped too low in the middle of the job (wish I knew which moron authorized a late october job) and redo it again this spring/summer. Hopefully they made the contractor eat the cost, but I doubt it.