1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

UK Prius PHEV Price Released £31,000/$48,380

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by GrumpyCabbie, Sep 23, 2011.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The price of the forthcoming Prius PHEV has been released for the important UK market. The cost comes in at £31,000/$48,000 inc 20% vat/sales tax. There is a £5,000 Government EV grant to be deducted off this making a wallet busting price of £26,000/$40,200.

Toyota prices plug-in Prius hybrid to take on Vauxhall Ampera | Environment | guardian.co.uk

Being a bit of a cynic I think Toyota have deliberately priced it to be the same as the Nissan Leaf and a couple of grand less than the Ampera/Volt. Will they pull it off though? Do you pay £20k for a 'normal' Prius, £26k for the PHEV or £28 for a Volt?

Funny how manufacturers appear to manipulate prices when grants/incentives are given by Governments! With the budget cuts happening at the moment I give it 3 months before a Government minister cottons on to this and removes the incentives.

Anyhow, with the base existing Prius coming in at £20,800/$32,000 even the most optimistic projections can't even begin to make the PHEV viable financially - even with petrol costing £5/$7.70 US gallon over here.

It will now be removed from my Birthday wish list :(

2 people like this.
  2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's why it's more expensive there. ;) We can but hope that the early-adopter tax will be removed in due course.

You need to nag Nissan again and tell them you'd be interested in being an electric cabbie. ;)

3. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not getting very far with them :(

Renault on the other hand were very very interested. I do like the Fluence EV but the boot/trunk is tiny. Check the following link, click on gallery and you'll see what I mean.

Fluence Z.E. pictures - Renault Z.E.

Shame as otherwise this car could be a winner. Only £17,850/$27,600 inc 20% sales tax but after £5k grant. OK, you lease the batteries but that's probably a safe bet in my job. Just got to convince my taxi authority to authorise it as it wouldn't comply due to the small boot.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    20% sales tax? gee, i can hardly wait until the u.s. becomes like the u.k.:eek:

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah but a Prius T4 would be closer to £21k, no? That's a £5k difference, still a huge chunk I know but a tad easier to swallow lol.

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I checked the image. I see what you mean about the boot. It's very small.

How would you deal with the range issue? Run Fluence and Prius and use the Prius once the Fluence is out?

Renault Fluence Z.E. is UK

Add #75/month for the battery, but that's with a 6000 miles/year limit. That's 15p per mile just for the battery. (Unless, of course, you could get a special deal). Then you need to add your off-peak leccy.

7. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So do I pay £31,000 for a 15 mile PHEV or £33,500 for a 40 mile Volt/Ampera? Or £21,000 for a 1 mile Prius? (these are all the base versions to give comparrison).

Or to go totally EV you have the £23,000 Fluence PLUS a monthly HV lease at £1,500 pa or £31,000 for a Leaf?

A £5,000 limited Government grant is available off all the above prices except the standard Prius.

If Toyota hadn't got greedy with the PHEV it would have been a nice car but the overly complicated Ampera/Volt with its much larger EV range now looks quite competitive. Premium gas/petrol isn't a problem here as 95RON Premium is our cheapest unleaded.

8. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How much would it cost to get a basic Prius fitted with an engineer kit (in the UK). I know a couple have done it but I can't remember if they posted how much it cost them.