1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

UK Prius warranty for ECM

Discussion in 'International Owners' started by yite, Apr 25, 2007.

1. yite

yite New Member

Bought our Prius in London, UK, in 2000; it's now 88 months old and has done 45K miles. It's been good except that it should probably have the ECM replaced (as per TSBs EG006-02 and EG011-03 and an engine code check by our excellent Toyota dealer).

However, Toyota Great Britain says that the warranty information in these TSBs (covering the ECM for 96 months or 80K miles) doesn't apply in the UK: that the ECM is NOT part of the Hybrid System (which is guaranteed for 10 years) but was covered only under the general 5-year, 50K-mile warranty.

Any way I can verify whether this is indeed true?

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Sorry I don't know the answer. But I will note that if you decide to buy the ECM from a salvage vehicle dismantler, confirm that the last two digits of its part number are not less than 54. This one contains the latest software, AFAIK.

Should back up a step and confirm that yours in an NHW-11. If it is NHW-10, then the above info is almost certainly incorrect for you.

3. yite

yite New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Apr 25 2007, 04:19 PM) [snapback]429762[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for your reply! I'm assuming it must be an NHW-11 as Wikipedia says that "The first Prius model, NHW10, was sold only in Japan, though personal imports have been made to the British Isles, Australia, and New Zealand.", and I got ours from a Toyota dealer in the UK.

Wouldn't know how to go about getting and installing the ECM from a salvage vehicle dismantler! I just want to make sure that Toyota indeed has a different warranty for the ECM in the UK as compared with the USA (where documentation is clear that I should be covered).