1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

UK Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by gazz, May 2, 2007.

1. gazz

gazz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have just complete my first tank and have got 120 miles on the first bar, can I confirm that the UK version does not have the gas bladder. Also if there are any UK owners out there do you have a problem filling, I have filled twice and both times I struggled to get the petrol in, the pump kept clicking off and I ended up brimming it. Is that a problem with a UK version?

2. robincx

robincx "Fear is the mind killer"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Not sure about the bladder, but I have had experiences with the clicking off pumps as well. "Aim" your nozzle toeards the back of the intake pipe more than straight down the filler tube and you should be OK.

Welcome, and great choice on your color selection.

3. gazz

gazz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(robincx @ May 2 2007, 05:45 AM) [snapback]433822[/snapback]</div>
    robincx

How do you get the Green hybrid image in your signiature?

Thanks

4. bulek

bulek Junior Member

As far as I know there is no bladder in European Prius. I noticed similar problems on one gas station - I was able to fill up to 3/4 of tank only. The other fillings went smoothly so I think it depends a bit on the station itself.

You can add the icon to your signature like this:
    Code:
    [url=http://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/car/4862.html][img]http://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/car/4862/signature.png[/img][/url]
    I looked at your first stats... do your MPG are in Imperial (what would be natural for you I guess) of US units?

- Piotr

5. Lee77

Lee77 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gazz @ May 2 2007, 05:38 AM) [snapback]433821[/snapback]</div>
    #

Hi Gary

I haven't had any problems filling mine up?

I also have the best colour Decuma Grey, with grey wheels, privacy glass and a shark fin antenna.

regards

Lee.

6. gazz

gazz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lee77 @ May 2 2007, 08:07 AM) [snapback]433860[/snapback]</div>
    Lee77,

Where did you get the shark fin antenna from , is the reception OK?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bulek @ May 2 2007, 06:46 AM) [snapback]433836[/snapback]</div>
    Bulek,

My natural stats are imperial mpg, my first tanks got the 64mpg but I had had a car for a week on test first so I played with it quite a bit, also I reserched a lot on driving styles. I am going on a longer run this weekend and will be going on the motorway so with the extra speed will probably struggle to get in the 60's.

7. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gazz @ May 2 2007, 05:38 AM) [snapback]433821[/snapback]</div>
    There's no bladder but if you put the nozzle in as far as it will go you'll find the pump will switch off. Just put the nozzle in about 2 inches or perhaps a bit more. It's almost impossible to know whether you have filled the tank to the maximum, but be careful not to overfill.

64 mpg is not unusual in the summer. You should be in the 60s on a longer trip provided you take it easy, keep to the speed limits or lower, and don't accelerate or brake hard. Always glide (use brakes as little as possible) when you slow down to approach an obstruction such as lights. Maybe having three passengers and baggage will reduce your mpg but I'm not sure about this.

8. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ May 2 2007, 09:57 AM) [snapback]433985[/snapback]</div>
    Oxo, I've noticed that my mpg seem lower when I take 2 co-workers and all of our hockey gear to play a little lunch time hockey. On days when I make the same drive without them and their kit I seem to do a little better. Notice the use of the word "seem". This is just anecdotal really, not empirical at all.

I think that I'm gonna start doing all of my calcs with Imperial gallons, I like the bigger numbers. ;)

9. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ May 2 2007, 11:09 AM) [snapback]433991[/snapback]</div>
    OK - but notice the price here: two days ago it was 92p per litre. Yesterday it went up a penny and today I noticed it was 94p on the board. That translates to $6.98 per US gal a couple of days ago and $7.08 today.

I also noticed today that diesel and unleaded petrol are the same price - the first time I've seen that. Diesel is usually a bit cheaper.

10. gazz

gazz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ May 2 2007, 01:56 PM) [snapback]434137[/snapback]</div>
    Oxo what pressure do you run yout tires at, also has the UK model got the thermos I notice quite a long whering noise from the engine bay a minute or two after stopping.

11. pinball

pinball New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Last year I was the only Prius in our underground parking - now there's 6 and today a lovely grey 2007 T5 Spirit was parked right next to my black beauty - Yup its a lovely colour - good choice !!

I do what Oxo does - just pull back about 2 inches and no problem with filling up

12. Lee77

Lee77 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gazz @ May 2 2007, 09:54 AM) [snapback]433937[/snapback]</div>

Brought it off e-bay,colour coded etc... reception is the same as standard aerial but it looks so much better.

Lee.

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ May 2 2007, 09:09 AM) [snapback]433991[/snapback]</div>
    lol... same here.

Going up a main street (hill), I usually make up without losing a bar of battery. When I have 4 or 5 people inside the car, I always drop a bar (usually to 5 bars).

14. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gazz @ May 2 2007, 02:52 PM) [snapback]434182[/snapback]</div>
    The recommended pressure or maybe one or two above it, but I can't remember the figures. I think higher tyre pressures do make a difference to mpg but as I do only a small mileage I'm not much bothered with increased mpg, although I do check it because I find it interesting.

I don't know about the thermos - never heard it mentioned before. I haven't noticed any whirring noise, but then I'm not one that notices odd sounds and rattles in my car - never have been! Maybe it's because I don't like or listen to music.

15. KV55

KV55 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    64mpg on the first tank is very good, well done.

Tyres; I run 40psi front and 38 rear, but in the summer I might go up to 42/40. It helps with gliding that bit further but in the cooler weather the engine chills quickly and so the ICE wants to run more readily. Perhaps the radiator grill still needs to be blocked off in the morning, then removed in the afternoon.

The sound from the engine compartment is like a small pump running for about five seconds and it occurs maybe a minute after the car is switched off.

I top up the petrol tank until the pump cuts out then draw the pump out and slowly add perhaps a litre more. In good light you will see the petrol frothing around, but be warned it does bounce about so easy does it. That last litre will only make around 15 miles difference on the tank so unless you are out to get a 700 mile tank it is not essential.

I get 52mpg on the motorway if I need to make progress but by following a lorry at around 56mph I will get 75mpg. This is not true drafting although there is some extra mpg compared to 56mph and no lorry. Keep a reasonable distance back and use the lorry to pace yourself.

16. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KV55 @ May 3 2007, 06:14 AM) [snapback]434620[/snapback]</div>
    Not a good idea. A friend of mine doing this had a nasty surprise when the gearbox of a lorry ahead exploded, scattering bits of metal and gear wheels all over the road. Also, things fall off lorries.

Better to use cruise control.

17. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Gary,

I started off using 40/38 psi in the OEM tyres. Now I go 42/40 just to experiment. The ride isn't noticeably less comfortable. I can't tell you what the improvement in MPG is, it's pretty small and gets lost in all of the noise that makes one tank's MPG vary from the next. However, it stands to reason that it should improve mileage so I do it. I can tell you that when a tyre is low it has a noticeable effect on MPG. I've had several partial punctures that have resulted in slow leaks.

USBSeawolf has an interesting video of pacing off of a lorry.