1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

UK query on US cars

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by GrumpyCabbie, Feb 8, 2010.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Got a generalised car query from a Brit.

Why do some American cars have red turn signals at the back yet others have the amber coloured ones that we have here in Europe?

It doesn't appear to be a model thing as some models have both. Does it depend on the State the vehicle was first sold in?

2. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Can't answer as to why, but the requirement (which is federal FMVSS 108) allows for both colors.

Last year, the government proposed to make the requirement amber only. That proposal is still pending.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The red turn signal is an older U.S. standard. Cars in the U.S. used the same red light for tail lights (position markers), brake lights, and turn signals. A dim setting is used for the tail light, a brighter setting for brakes or turning. It was simply a cheap way to do it.

The yellow turn signals came from imported cars. Some U.S. cars are exported, so these may have the yellow turn signals. Others do not.

Tom

4. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I understand that but some models do, some dont. There is a US airforce base a few miles from here so there are lots of US cars running around locally to me so I see the different lighting. One example - the Chrysler Voyager. The UK/Europe model has amber and some US models do but some don't and just have the red lights. Same thing I saw on a US civic sedan. One had the amber and one had a red lense where the amber one would have been.

Is it an option at new? Is it amber for cars that comply with the californian emissions and red for those that don't?

5. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't believe there is any such standard. I believe my first post was correct: either are legal in the U.S. It's up to the designer and the auto company to decide which to use. The all red ones are cheaper and take up less space. The yellow ones look European. It all depends on what look they want, not regulation, unless, of course, the same model will be sold overseas.

Major automotive laws and standards in the U.S. are set at the federal level. There are a few state laws that exceed federal levels, such as California emission standards, but the basic levels and laws are set by the federal government.

Tom

6. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I understand what you're saying about cost savings etc, but my query was why can one 2008 US Honda Civic have red turn signals and another 2008 US Honda Civic have amber? Who decides which has which?

7. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Honda.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    AFAIK, the new Civics (in Canada and the US) all have amber rear indicators from the factory so the red ones might have been modified.

The manufacturer decides whether to use an amber or red rear indicator lights. For example, the new smart fortwos here use a red indicators instead of the yellow ones you have there. It annoys me because red is hard to see (unless it's LED) and you don't know if it's because the person is pulsing the brake pedal and the other brake light is blown lol.

9. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also: the civic is still a popular platform for modification so it is possible you may have seen a car with aftermarket taillights.