1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

UK Reverse beeping disable?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gary.lane, Aug 21, 2006.

1. gary.lane

gary.lane Junior Member

I know the much publicised hack only applies to US models. But this shows that the setting is software related and I refuse to believe that it is impossible to turn off on UK models.

Is there anybody out there (Toyota engineers?) who know how to do this. I would happily snip a wire or take out a component if need be.

And before anybody accuses me of being reckless with safety - I have parking sensors which beep when I am close to anything and the two sounds beeping together are a distraction. Proxmity sensors are useful. Reverse beeping is not.

The infernal beeping is getting so annoying I would actually caution any prospective UK owner to think about this before buying the car.

2. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LondonPriusMan @ Aug 21 2006, 11:02 AM) [snapback]306801[/snapback]</div>
    Just do all the steps we do over here but in reverse order. :D

(This is a NON-Toyota engineer concept.)

Just for fun you should post some pictures of a right-hand drive Prius. I've never seen one.

(Or maybe you shouldn't. It's likely to start a modification spree of US users moving their steering wheels.)

3. bbmaj

bbmaj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Aug 21 2006, 08:21 PM) [snapback]306933[/snapback]</div>

There's not many differences visually - we only have 3 trim levels over here so you might have different combinations of accessories.

It looks like the Power button is high up on the dash on US models, the UK has it at about the same height as the gear selector - which is mirrored so Braking is away from the driver still.

Externally there is no difference, except I haven't seen a UK one with aftermarket alloy wheels yet, and not many with decals.

If you were serious about pictures it should be easy enough B)

4. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bbmaj @ Aug 21 2006, 01:52 PM) [snapback]306968[/snapback]</div>
    I thought the wheels are also obviously different? And I am pretty sure the spoiler is different, but you can't tell, really, unless you see them side-by-side.

And, here, if someone asks for pictures? They REALLY mean it! :D

They are also NOT kidding about mods. :eek:

5. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LondonPriusMan @ Aug 21 2006, 01:02 PM) [snapback]306801[/snapback]</div>
    I totally disagree with this. I find nothing objectionable or distracting about the reverse beeping and/or the quicker obstruction beeping.

It's the so-called 'music' in restaurants that I strongly dislike and I never go to one a second time unless they turn it off at my request!

There's an organisation in the UK called 'PipeDown' which will supply printed cards asking shopkeepers, etc to turn off their music.