1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured UKs Auto Express pays "tribute to the groundbreaking Prius"

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by GT4Prius, Nov 8, 2017.

1. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    RCO likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well said!(y)

RCO likes this.
  3. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unexpected, yet heartwarming at the same time. I think I'm gonna weep!:cry:

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, that's a nice piece! I don't know how the sentiment actually is over in the UK but thanks to JC and Co., my perception from this side of the pond is that the Prius is much hated in the UK until recently.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I posted this comment:

Some of the first plug-in hybrids were home-brew hacks by Prius owners. Some of us suspect it 'shamed' Toyota into make the first Prius Plug-in that had similar range to the larger, home made, Prius plug-ins.

Bob Wilson

pilotgrrl likes this.
  6. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    It is nice to get a more positive and sensible view on the Prius.

The article covers the negative attitude towards the car. But "much hated" is far too strong. It wasn't by any means a universal sentiment. Just unimaginative folk who like to have something to be angry about, especially if it's something good.

Especially lazy and shallow motoring journalists who consider it fashionable to knock anything Toyota and have an implacable and irrational dislike of CVT gearboxes.

They did hate the "green motoring" idea too. And that got people fired up about climate change, especially the sceptics.

It was because it was groundbreaking in so many ways, the tech and engineering primarily of course but in other ways too.

From what I've read on this site, you get folk like this in the States just the same.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#6 GT4Prius, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    pilotgrrl and Tideland Prius like this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yes the tailgating, coal rolling and general disregard towards Prii on the road. (I know, cause I tried the same P&G technique in a pickup truck and no one cared).

Canadian journalists are starting to come around CVTs. Manufacturers here are starting to blend in automatic characteristics such as a fake shift (just an audible one. drop it a few hundred rpm then rise again) as well as limit the max rpm (at least initially) so that it doesn't swing all the way up to max torque and hold like CVTs usually do.

If you ever get the chance, read "The Prius That Shook the World". It talks about the development of the Prius (G21) and the challenges of bringing a hybrid vehicle to market. It's translated from Japanese.

pilotgrrl and telmo744 like this.
  8. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A couple of years ago a auto-mag here in Portugal, subsidiary of a german group, completed its 20th anniversary and shown the most relevant vehicles for that period...
    1st spot - Toyota Prius - "the car that could move without a drop of fuel"...
    And that was a very harsh/antihybrid magazine...probably the article was brought in by the german HQ ... LOL

pilotgrrl likes this.