1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ummm, is this odd?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sheepdog, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just noticed that when I am moving from a start, my door locks do not engage.

My cars have done this for a long time so it isnt rocket science... Is my prius broken somehow or is this just a design goof?

:eek:

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a button on the door you can use to the same effect.

3. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  4. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most other cars haven't figured out to just turn off the headlights when you power down the car, somehow they think beeping at you and letting the battery drain is still the cutting edge. And if you do turn off the headlights, then you need to turn them back on the next time you start up. How archaic!

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome to PriusChat, Sheepdog! That's not a bug, it's a feature!

6. limetime13

limetime13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Welcome! :humble:

Some cars just don't do that. My former car, a Volvo, didn't either.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    None of the cars I've owned do that. I have driven a car with auto locks, and I didn't particularly like that feature. If I want the doors locked, I do it as soon as I get in. If I don't want the doors locked, I leave them open. I don't like the car deciding for me.

Tom

8. HardCase

HardCase SilverPineMica, the green one

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I must be really out-of-it an an automotive technology sort of way.....I didn't even know that such a feature was available. But that's nothing, guess what? I recently purchased a very basic, regular cab (couldn't believe how hard that was to find, everyone wants the extended-cab versions anymore) 4wd Toyota Tacoma, and it has old-fashioned roll-up windows, manual door locks, and no cruise-control!!!! I didn't think Toyota even knew how to make manual window roller-uppers anymore!!:p

9. Jiipa

Jiipa MGySgt USMC (Ret)

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I totally agree with this. If my Prius had come with auto locks it would have been the second feature turned off ... right after the back-up beep.

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I rented a car recently that had roll-up windows and no cruise control. I thought the window rollers were rather quaint, and didn't mind them, though it means you can't control the other windows from the driver's seat. But the lack of cruise control made highway driving more tiring.

11. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You need to take off your seat belt, so you can lean over farther. :rolleyes:

Tom

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Heck, us old geezers ... we REALLY remember the day. How about (my 1st ride, a 1964 Falcon Van) a manual choke, bias-ply tires, the crank case vented down onto the street, no AC, and of course let's not forget 'wind-wings'.

13. HardCase

HardCase SilverPineMica, the green one

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hey Hill, I remember when I was 9 years old my grandparents drove out to visit (they lived in Maryland) in their brand-new '58 Chevy and it had AC, first time experience for me. I don't think one car in 100 had that feature at that time. My granddad was so proud of it that he kept it cranked all the time and kept turning around to we kids in the back seat and asking "how's the weather back there?" We were freezing and kept asking him to turn it down, but he just wouldn't do it.

My mother hated radios in cars, thought they were a hazzard and a distraction. She would say "if you want to listen to the radio, you should be sitting in your living-room where you can't hurt anyone." I wonder what she'd have thought about cell-phones??? Well, I think I know...... In any case, she would buy a new car about every three or four years, my folks were fairly well off, and would actually pay the dealership to remove the radio (although in many cars it was an extra-cost option) and plug the hole.

14. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And hand crank or vacuum windshield wipers: "voop, pop, voop, pop, voop, pop, vooppopvooppopvoopop." That last part was when you down-shift and the wipers would go like mad. Then there was: "voop......................pop, voop.................pop", when you stepped on the gas and all the vacuum disappeared.

We are old, aren't we.

Tom

15. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Floor mounted dimmer switches, floor mounted starter switches, metal dash boards, primer pumps, knock off hubs, wire wheels, 6V positive ground electrical systems, sheet metal that you could stand on, points, round fuses, L78-15 tires, mechanical clocks, tube radios, and those stirrups in the back of VW bugs (those were good for dating!).

Tom

16. SparrowHawk60

SparrowHawk60 Happy to be green!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Double Post, sorry.

17. SparrowHawk60

SparrowHawk60 Happy to be green!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow, a few old school things have been brought up, cool.
    '68 Rambler Rouge, with Vacuum wipers, us less while sitting still.
    '68 Ford Falcon, with three on the tree.
    '74 Dodge Duster, with air vents directly to the outside world.

Vent windows that opened! Points and condensers.
    Adjusting Carbs, changing jets or adding a 4 bbl.
    Power steering, what was that? The old reticulating ball worked fine! Pop starting cars. Big engines, 350, 390, 318 cubes... Opening the hood and seeing the ground or the engine for that matter. Toilet paper inserts for oil filters. Manual Chokes. Tires with letter designations instead of numbers. The cost of gas, well under a dollar. Posi rears, drive shafts that ran for almost the length of the car. Real clutches without hydraulic assist. Window cranks. Seeing the front end of the car. Bench seats.
    Collapsible antennas. Full wheel covers. Oh, the memories!

18. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    haha! I really sent you all down memory lane then didnt I? anyway I am in my 50's so do remember a lot of that. My lst 4 or 5 cars had the feauture so I thought it odd the perfect little Prius didnt have it. I did look at that 3rd party company link and may just get the add on.

I do wonder why Toyoya didnt put it in tho'. on purpose maybe? I may never know.

Thanks all for the welcome. I really think I am gonna like it here!

Are we issued a secret handshake or code or the like? :cool:
    :cheer2: yippee for my new Toyota!