1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Uncle Sam Wants Criminals

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by MarinJohn, Feb 20, 2007.

1. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/20/opinion/...amp;oref=slogin
    Editorial
    Moral Waivers and the Military

To keep filling the ranks, the Army has had to keep lowering its expectations.
    Diluting educational, aptitude and medical standards has not been enough. Nor have
    larger enlistment bonuses plugged the gap. So the Army has found itself recklessly
    expanding the granting of “moral waivers,†which let people convicted of serious
    misdemeanors and even some felonies enlist in its ranks.

Without adequate monitoring and counseling, handing out guns to people who have
    already committed crimes poses a danger to the other soldiers they serve with and
    to the innocent civilians they are supposed to protect.

MJ again: Ahhh, more "lowered expectations" the republican mantra at work.
    They'll fire homosexuals for honorable service to their country, but
    elevate criminals to do the job. Apparently all the Iraqis have to do is send
    a platoon of gays and lesbians and the homophobic US military will run with it's
    tail between it's legs. Wouldn't want to catch 'it' now would we?

2. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Feb 20 2007, 12:23 PM) [snapback]393334[/snapback]</div>
    Do you believe that a smart high school/college grad would want to go in the Army at this time? I sure wouldn't. Let the ex cons go fight this BS war. They probably would be good in the infantry and an asset to our troups. Besides, where is it written that just because someone makes a mistake or 2 that person is "no Good". Everyone has potential IF given the OPPORTUNITY to demonstrate what they can do that's positive. When you come right down to it war is about killing. I think there are some fine ex felons that would do an excellent job of killing scumbags.

3. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Plus, wouldn't it be prejudicial to not allow criminals to do their duty. It would be a slight to their self-esteem making it impossible for them to be cured of their criminalness!

It's actually a very progressive move!

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, but then they'd expect to be shipped home again.
    _H*

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I can't help being reminded of Alice's Restaurant.

6. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

What else can they do when their commander in chief (cough cough) wants to fight 3 wars and he is too chickenshit to start up the draft. I don't blame the military commanders for looking far afield to fill the ranks, but I do hold their feet to the fire for firing gays, and especially when there are no trained troops to replace them, but under any circumstances really. Even Alexander The Great (would that we had someone-the-great now) recognized the value of homosexuals and the outstanding job they do as soldiers. He started an elite platoon of queers who were legendary soldiers and feared above all others. They fought side by side with their lovers. My how we've regressed. Looking on the bright side, it will be at least a generation before republicans can overcome junior's stupidity. After Iraq the military budget will be able to be slashed as there will be so few soldiers left to pay, and equip (ahem). Sad the republicans slashed the budget for the past 12 years and then sent our best and brightest into battle ill equipped.

7. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    And they've also raised the age limit, now up to 42 (Bush supporters, enlist now, the Army needs you). Oh, not a citizen, to riff on that "illegal alien" thread that's going on hot and heavy, if you enlist, you're guaranteed citizenship when you get out.