1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Uncomfortable Seats?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by riptorn, Nov 3, 2005.

1. riptorn

riptorn New Member

:blink: I bought my 2005 Prius sight unseen because I heard it was a great car. It is, with one or two drawbacks shy of my complete satisfaction. The seats are uncomfortable and the ride is a little too shaky. Are there any aftermarket or manufacturer products that can address these problems? I don't want to sell it, but I drive a lot and my aging back needs a friendlier seat.

2. mypriusiscute

mypriusiscute New Member

mabye u should have test dorve it first? (that always helps) :eek: ;)

3. electronics_scrounger

first, an aftermarket seat, even if you have to have it custom made, second, look into aftermarket suspension and tires.

4. craigcush

craigcush Member

There are a number of ride fixes, use the search button above and in the left column under 'offers' are some links.
    Tires are the first place to look and you will fine tons of posts with opinions and data.

Here are a few for tires

http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-tires.htm

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=10895&hl=tire+s

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=5276&hl=tire+s

I lost the link to a spreadsheet, PriusTiresComparison, maybe someone has it.

Here is one for swaybars,

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=9957&hl=tire+s

I have terrible back issues and dislike the seats and steering wheel distance too. On long trips i tilt back the seat and survive.
    The main concern is if you have side airbags, plus there are sensors under your bottom (maybe thats my problem)

Post if you get a solution. PM me if you think of it.

5. sailatinu

sailatinu New Member

Does anyone know if the '06 seats are supposed to be any more comfortable, and equally in regard of the Cloth vs leather options of it?

6. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They might have changed some of the bolstering who knows...

I think the seats are uncomfortable too and don't feel it rides very well. I think new tires will help that a LOT too, we may look into that chassis stiffening bar too.

Why would you buy a car without driving one first!?!?

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Personally I have no problems with the seats. That of course doesn't help you.

You can install Recaro seats, but they can run a bit on the high side, $1300 each is not unusual (depending on what you want). Remember, some models of the Prius have side airbags, which have to be accounted for when the seats are installed.

Take a look at http://priuschat.com/replace-seats-for-comfort-t9199.html to see other ideas.

I rented a Prius for 2 weeks to see how she "fit." The test included long trips.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    See if you can get the seat re-upholstered with better padding and material. You could always get one of those support cushions for bottom and/or lumbar.

As for ride, get a set of GoodYear Assurance ComforTred. They seem to work well.

9. MadHungarian

MadHungarian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My woman friend and I agree with you about the seats. Our problem is the height of the front of the seat cushion--little support. I added five washers (the maximum number I could) underneath the front seat/floor mounts on both our cars (buy longer bolts, loosen the rear mounting bolts, etc.) One would not thjink it would make much diffeerence, but she repoprts hers is now "perfect;" I consider mine "improved." If this is your problem, you might give it a try (at 6'3'' I am 8 inches taller than she).

10. faastguy

faastguy Junior Member

I know that this is an old posting, but the leather seats on my 2006 are also uncomfortable for long rides in the saddle (8+ hours). I'm guessing that Toyota shares parts with different models (Camry, Avalon). If we could ask a motivated Toyota parts guy to check the part numbers of the Prius seat track, and compare this with the seat track of the Camry and Avalon, we may find an upgraded OEM seat (with multi-adjustability) which would slide right in to the Prius' tracks. Then, all we'd need is a similar sensor array (for occupancy, airbags, etc), to plug-in to the existing Prius under-seat wiring harness? Hey, this sounds too easy!! So, what's the deal, do we have any Toyota dealers out there who would like to sell us some comfortable direct-replacement upgraded OEM seats?? Here's a quarter, give me a call B)

11. Scott_W

Scott_W New Member

The '06 seats (fabric) are much more comfortable than the '05. The '06 also offers a more stable ride.

12. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Nov 3 2005, 09:59 PM) [snapback]150393[/snapback]</div>
    I would SO love to replace the driver seat with a Recaro. There are two models under $900 - and once you've ridden in a Recaro, you'd have trouble being satisfied with anything less!

Anyway - there are at least two things to watch out for in a car with air bags.

1. Obiously you lose the seat-mounted side bag. But you also need to trick the car into thinking it is still there, or it'll likely complain every time it is started... and leave a code, etc.

2. There is a hall switch (position sensor) under the front seats that tells the front air bags how hard to deploy (reduced force if the seat is all the way up for a shorter person). This switch should also be refitted after a seat replacement.

So far I haven't gotten beyond the dreaming stage... but maybe some day!

13. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Mar 31 2006, 10:06 PM) [snapback]233320[/snapback]</div>
    There's supposed to be a resistor that does the job of tricking the car into thinking the seat airbags are still there. You'd have to contact someone who has installed the seats.

14. londo-cat

londo-cat New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Apr 1 2006, 02:13 AM) [snapback]233322[/snapback]</div>
    Recaro just came out with the Ergomed ES w/side airbags.

http://www.recaro.com/index.php?id=1391&L=2

I just purchased the Ergomed ES with the side airbag and mounting brackets. While extremely pricey ($2,500 to $3,500 depending on leather or other options) it is probably one of the best investments you will ever have with a seat. I drive over 40,000 miles a year (on average) and need a seat that is in it for the long haul.

The Ergomed ES is one of THE most expensive seats they make at Recaro - but if you have ever sat in one for 10 hours driving, you would understand why people love these seats. I suffer from 3 crushed disks and I can't tell you the pain of driving 8-10 hours and then having back pain for a week, but with the Ergomed, it makes the driving so much easier on you.

15. giacomodolce

giacomodolce New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(londo-cat @ Nov 8 2006, 08:57 PM) [snapback]345961[/snapback]</div>
    Londo-cat, How is the Eromed ES seat working out? Anyproblams with the airbag compatability?

16. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I own both an 05 and an 06 Prius and the seats are, as far as I can tell, identical in both years. I have the 06 pakage 8 with leather from the factory. My wife liked the leather in my car so much she went and had her seats redone in leather through couch industries. Now though, I like hers better then mine. Her seats seem much more firm and fit me better then the stock seats and the leather clearly is better and much heavier weight. In the 06 only the center section is leather. In the aftermarket covers it all appears to be leather. I'm relatively short these days at 5'9''and while I do suffer from a L4-5/S1 injury I can live with the seats. Taller people, however, find the Prius seats intollerable.

I have read but not substantiated that the Camry seats can be adapted to work and they are far more comfortable seats. I feel the seats are the worst aspect of this car. On the other question regarding the ride quality I installed the BT stiffening plate and found the difference to be just short of miraculous. That was the best 160$ dollars spent on the car. Its roadmanners are so much more predictable now and in wind the car is not so darned sqirrely. I highly reccomend its addition if you have complaints regarding ithe Prius road manners.
    -Paul R. Haller-

17. mccarlson

mccarlson New Member

Yes, the driver's seat on my brand new 2007 is horrible. The seat part of the seat is so short that, even at only 5'9", my legs are not supported. I discovered yesterday that a pillow between my right thigh and the storage thing in the middle helps to relieve a lot of the tension in my right leg. I hope it will continue to work.

Didn't Toyota try out these seats on anybody??

18. YBLee

YBLee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Although they felt terrible at first, after about 6K they seemed to be molding to my butt - or, I saw getting used to them! I've spent $1K for aftermarkets for my motorcycles so $3 to $4K, although a lot of money, doesn't seem that far out of wack especially if you use them 40K miles per year. What's the longest time you've spent in them and could you have gone longer? I've done 24 hrs. on motorcycle on Iron Butt rides stopping only for gas and generally staying in the saddle while pumping. Russell DayLong did it for me. I may contact them to see if they do car seats though I cannot believe they would be any cheaper than the ES.
    Good luck

19. kdailey356

kdailey356 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YBLee @ Nov 23 2006, 08:49 AM) [snapback]353436[/snapback]</div>
    I have a 2007 touring, and the seats are very comfortable. Also, it handles similar to a mercedes C230-kompressor... So, i am satisfied. Although, my friend has an of' and those seats are very uncomfortable. Maybe your should see if you could find an 06' or 07' for a good price because your car probably has a very good tade in value and if you got rid of the car it seems there would be to much to loose by going back to a conventional car... atleast to me..

20. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(riptorn @ Nov 3 2005, 09:38 PM) [snapback]150314[/snapback]</div>

Many of us hear can relate to your problem. I have made some simple changes that have made my seat bearable.
    (1) I tilted the front of my seat up using washers.
    (2) I purchased a pair of seat covers for the front so that I could place foam underneath for a softer seat.
    (3) Also I placed foam at both side edges of the seat to give it more of a bucket feeling.
    (4) The seat covers came with a center consol cover, so I put foam under it making it about 1 ½ in. taller.
    (5) I then made a foam armrest and addid it to the door.

This is not perfect, but I now can drive for long periods of time with minimum or no back pain.
    If I could hack saw the steering column off and add three or four inches I would be happy.

Good luck and happy riding. ;)