1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Under $10 Fix For Two Common Rear-View Mirror Complaints

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Solar_Powered, May 7, 2005.

1. Solar_Powered

Solar_Powered New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In reading posts here at PriusChat.com, and attending a PriusChat Club meeting, drivers have two common complaints about the rear-view mirror:

Complaint #1) Rear-view mirror blocks a portion of forward vision and it can’t be moved up any higher, as the ball-and-socket joints are at their limits of movement.
    Complaint #2) Rear-view mirror doesn’t provide a “wide-enough” view.

This modification addresses both complaints, and will allow the rear-view mirror to move up high enough to touch the ceiling.

http://www.box.net/shared/9dc62z6acc

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Wide may be an issue (not really addressed by moving the mirror up), but I do believe the mirror does go quite high. We have to remember, the windshield is a great deal higher than we think.

I have a full view mirror that I used to use, as I can't easily turn my head, but I found it hard to install on the Prius mirror, not to mention it would eliminate the autochromic feature, and make the homelink hard to use, so I don't use it anymore, and try to be carefull when driving.

3. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Good post about fixing the mirror problem. I don't mind the positioning, but I think I'll pop the mirror off because there's a certain "creaking" in the plastic around the mirror that causes a vibration noise occasionally. A few drops of rubber cement around the seam should fix that.

Also would be interesting to have a peek inside the mirror's electronics to see if a seperate photo-sensor could be mounted up-high on the mirror somewhere to catch light that doesn't hit the small light sensor on the bottom.

Dave