1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

undercarriag care

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by xsmatt81, Mar 28, 2008.

1. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Was under my prius tonite checking, after putting air in. Notice quite a bit of road ash. IS a high-pressure wash a good idea with a prius?

any comment's would be :cool:

2. janice45

janice45 Dudley Girl

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I notice you have had no answers I'll be watching to see what people say.
    My car has sucked up dirt and mud after this winter and was wondering the same question I would like to power wash the underneath also .Hope someone answers

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why bother ... who sees it. It won't hurt to wash it, but just driving through a couple of puddles will accomplish the same thing.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is reasonable especially for cars driven in areas where salt is applied on winter roads. It would be good to spray out the fender liners to remove accumulated dirt, as well as the suspension etc.

I suggest that you avoid washing the engine compartment due to the many electrical connectors that have the potential to become intermittent if water moisture enters. Water can easily enter the four spark plug wells at the top of the engine valve cover since the rubber spark igniter seals are not perfect.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure about pressure washing but I regularly spray off the underside of my car as well as the wheel wells. I spray it down prior to washing the rest of the car so any mud has time to soften then spray it off again near the end of the wash. I wouldn't eat off it but it stays pretty clean. :)

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The rear wheel wells are the worst. It really helps if on a flat surface you jack up the rear end, support with jackstands, and remove the rear wheels. Make sure the front wheels are blocked

You can then use your pressure washer or garden hose to spray out the wheel well. In particular, dirt/salt loves to build up at the front of the rear wheel well, there is a flat area there. The lip of the wheel well holds a lot of crud too

There is a recess at the rear of the rear wheel well that is only easy to get to if the rear wheels are off. Once you get the wheels off, easy enough to hose off the crud

As Patrick suggested, do *not* touch the engine bay. One of our forum members, Frank Hudon, does like to hose off the engine area. He then removes each coil igniter and uses compressed air to thoroughly blow out each tube.

The only place I have seen crud build up in the front end is the strut, there is a flat area near the top. If you're careful you can hose that off without getting water on the motor

The plastic fairings under the car love to hold dirt. It takes patience and 2-3 beers to thoroughly clean off underneath the car

7. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    well i went out to groom lake last week, and my car was white after leaving. I stopped at a DIY wash and used pressure on the bottom, but made certain not to spray near the motor. IT looks much better now, will probably do this twice a year..only takes 10 mins

I also changed the air filter out, unless you have drove up groom lake road, you have no idea how dusty it is! Would hate to leave on the ranch land out there, unless one owned a 4x4 or SUV, which it seem's everyone does in that area.