1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Undercarriage repair failing -- Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cyberpriusII, Mar 12, 2017.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A plastic panel that runs under the passenger side of the Prius is coming loose. I posted about it back in 2010, but did not get much of a response, so I eventually just went ahead and came up with my own repair idea. :whistle:

Here is my somewhat awful photo that I took back then, I snapped the photo adjacent to the jack point behind the front passenger side tire. You can see where the panel is sagging down and dirt has packed in...later, the sag got much worse and leaves, gravel, dirt (all wet and mucky) all packed in between the plastic and the steel underbody.

K&KinOregon | Flickr

So the repair lasted a few years, but I notice it has come loose again. Any new suggestions, or should I just clean-up the muck and fix it as I did before.

Here is what I did to the panel before:

There are three main nuts -- a 10 mm at the front, a 10mm at rear and a 12mm in the center of the panel. As well as two plastic nuts on diagonal corners. I was not able to remove the rear plastic clip so was not able to take panel completely off.

But, I cleaned as best I could, dried out the "compartment" with hairdryer, used just about all my nail polish remover to clean the edge of plastic and underside of car and then spread a film of GE clear silicone on the edge of the panel that seats against the underbody of car. I then replaced all the bolts and used two jacks and wood blocks to assure that the panel (which was still hanging down at front corner) was pressed firmly against car.

Waited two days and removed jacks and blocks and panel seems secure (drove it about 50 miles). However, there are still a few spots where debris could enter (too large to fill with silcone).

NOW:
    Earlier this week a noticed a strip of silicone hanging down, so I pulled it off and looked at the panel. It is sagging along the front corner again. I figure if no one has any great ideas, it is back to the silicone and acetone.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are any fasteners missing now?

If not, your repair method seems reasonable. I suggest using paint thinner as a cleaning agent as that may be less costly (per ounce) than nail polish remover.

3. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Can you lower the front portion of the panel enough to get to the spot that is giving you problems and put heat to it and bend it upwards enough to prevent debris from entering and sagging the section? That might be all that you need, unless it is ripped and that is why it's sagging.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe fill the void with spray foam from a can
    Put panel on and fill the hole

Be aware it has a lot of expansion power
    They sell some know that don't adhere to the area but stays fluffy so you can remove it

5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What kind of clip are you having problems removing? I took one of the two panels off to clean under it and other I just cleared between the panel and steel without removing anything.

The key to making the panel stop collecting all that stuff seem to be using heat gun to bend the forward area a slightest bit up so that not too much stuff enters there. You can’t really make the panel tight enough that nothing enters but that’s why the panel has many drain holes.

6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That just sounds like a way to rust up your car.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not familiar with that area so disregard my post.

8. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks all for the support and suggestions!

I am still somewhat disabled from a stupid ice injury in January and I am not wanting to really get into this, since it does not seem critical at the moment.

I imagine by the end of the month, the weather will be better and I will be capable of getting back under the car and seeing what is actually going on. I don't remember much about why, or what I could not take off when I originally did this. But, it seems like silicone will be the solution once again.

If I run into any real issues, you all will "hear" about it.
    kris

9. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Problem with trying to glue the panel sides with silicone (or anything else) is that the front part is bent down. So now there is a big cap between the body and the panel. There was small gap (at least on some areas) to begging with so silicone wouldn’t be the best option to try to glue it on anyways.

If you just try to glue the pane on as is on the front the glue is constantly fighting the panel that wants to bend down. And of course while gluing you need to force the panel to meet the body. Eventually the glue will fail as the panel is pulling the glue while car is shaking.

If you bend the front part correctly glue shouldn’t be needed. And if you want to glue it glue won’t be under stress. And you could even glue it with just the original fasteners holding up the panel.

10. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While I do understand the logic of "bending" the plastic, as I recollect, it is fairly stiff, somewhat like the inside plastic trim panels. I don't think applying heat from a hairdryer is going to make it "bendable," but if anyone has any suggestions on how to do, I am open for suggestions.

11. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just used a heat gun.