1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WTB Underpriced my car, what's reasonable etiquette?

Discussion in 'Private Sales' started by adriennepratt, Apr 29, 2020.

1. adriennepratt

adriennepratt Junior Member

Hi folks, the time has come to sell my beloved 2010 Prius as I'm moving overseas. Clearly I underpriced it though, as after posting on Craigslist and FB market place last night I have been INUNDATED with enquiries, including from people pushing for the earliest viewings and promising to buy it for cash on the spot. I've had to switch off notifications on my phone from all the pinging.

On one hand this is great because I'm under some time pressure to sell (I have about 10 days, though a friend has also agreed to help after I leave as well if it hasn't sold by then). On the other hand, though, I'm kicking myself because I really need the money right now and obviously I didn't ask enough.

What would you advise? Does etiquette here (I'm a foreigner in WA state) clearly mean that I have to stick to my first price ($5.5k, vehicle in good shape, 103.5k) and agree with the first person that comes up with the cash? Or is there room to go back to, say, the first 5 that contacted me and ask them to make me their best offer? Or even relist?

Appreciate your advice!

2. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Cancel a listing and make another if you want, just understand there can be backlash

Etiquette in sales is nearly non existent, follow your gut

I find you need at least 10 potential buyers to get one willing to purchase (if you need a little context)

good luck

adriennepratt likes this.
  3. adriennepratt

Thanks for the quick answer, Rmay, really appreciate it.

When you say backlash...?

What would you do in my shoes?

4. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    count your blessings and get the first to pay full price.

I had something similar happen with a broken rider, I told subsequent buyers that 40 other people all ready offered full asking price and they would have to do better, got $75 on a $50 asking price, YMMV

Many times you will find the potential buyers lower their offer in person or flake, so you need a lot of offers to move it.

adriennepratt and ttou68 like this.
  5. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    As with real estate, sometimes there is a bidding war among multiple interested buyers. You could just mention there is a lot of interest at the initial price and a higher offer would be considered.

6. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's you vehicle, your property and you have the right delete your ad and price it higher if you wish..

Personally, I'm the type of person would honer the price I set originally and be firm on price if you have that many interests..

But it's just me, what's to say the reason you have that many interests isn't because the combination of your reasonably priced Prius and the condition it's in?

Ask for open bid if you wish...

Good luck with the sale and safe travels!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. adriennepratt

Thanks so much for the advice, all of you - tremendously helpful!

8. adriennepratt

Another quick question then - how many viewings would you organize? Everyone that wants to see it and says they would pay full price cash? Or first 5 and see how it goes?

Appreciated!

9. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It only take one to purchase...
    Currently with social distancing in effect and if you're confident in the condition of your Prius.. I would say only the person come with cash see it..

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    People often change their mind about the selling price of a car after it's posted. It happens all the time on craigslist. There is no contract for anything on there. Since nobody has seen the car, you really have not wasted anybody's time. It would be different if someone went out to see the car and then you change the price. If after you raise the price and someone asks you about it, you can explain you had 20 calls within an hour and you realize the pricing was too low. It's now offered at a more appropriate asking price.

If I were in your shoes, you should look at the KBB value of your car first. Then you'll have a good idea what the car is worth. Most craigslist buyers will negotiate by knocking off 20% value of the car. They will probably settle with a small discount if the car is truly exceptional.

You can try to list the car again for $1000 or $1500 more. See what interest you get in 1 day. I also would not show the car to many people at once, social distancing is very important for your protection and the protection of others.

Raytheeagle and adriennepratt like this.
  11. mastergunnera8

mastergunnera8 Junior Member

IMO take it to carmax and see what they will give you. Then you will know what it’s really worth in the marketplace. It may be above what you are asking and they will give you cash on the spot

#11 mastergunnera8, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    edthefox5 likes this.
  12. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The carmax offer will be lower than private party sales price, but gives you a floor and instant backstop value.

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Like Master Gunner says if you have a Carmax in your state take it to them and those lunatics will give you top dollar for it.

CL is such a pia. I looked at KBB in my zip and $5.5 is a fair price for the car. Especially right now in the middle of this virus. Take the first 5.5 cash and go.

14. hkp

hkp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    the first person that messaged you, thats who you let see the car, sell it for your original asking price and be happy its over.

edthefox5 likes this.
  15. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    My experience with them is that happens more with late models. A 10 year old body with 100k+ miles on it and expired warranty isn't their desired product; 3-5 years old is their bread&butter.

16. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  17. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Vehicles advertised on the Internet inevitably attract a LOT of scam artists.
    Be very careful of people who seem too eager.

Most people will not actually carry 5 THOUSAND dollars around with them, even for a short time................and worthless checks are easy to write; sometimes even worthless cashiers checks and money orders.

It is best do deal with someone who has a physical bank in the local area, where you can go to get a known good cashiers or certified check.......or the actual cash.

I don't think your price is THAT far off and you should wrap this part of the move up and move on to other things.