1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Underside plastic is a stressor, is it necessary?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by fsu23phd, Apr 16, 2017.

1. fsu23phd

fsu23phd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have had 3 Priuses, a 2005, a 2010 and a 2016. I've been very happy with one exception. The plastic on the underside of the 2010 just won't stay on. If I park it over a curb which is too tall, then the undersides scrapes, and the plastic starts falling off. Have had it fixed a few times but it keeps falling off, and the plastic on one of the wheel wells even fell off and kept hitting the side of the car. I lost another piece today...

2016, I just never park it with the front facing the curb. I always back it in because the back end is higher than the front end. Does anyone know if any of this plastic is important? Because I'm done getting it fixed now all I do is tear off anything that hangs down and scrapes. I'm not concerned if it ends up costing me one eighth of an MPG... 20170416_135859.jpg 20170416_140306.jpg Thanks. The images show before and after removing the offending piece

2. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I know, it's frustrating. Toyota could have done a better job. I went thru that crap on my 2005. For improved aerodynamics, it really does a lousy job.

fsu23phd likes this.
  3. 4est

4est Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Excel
    Just bolt it on with some screws

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Looks like you've:

1. Lost a fair number of fasteners.
    2. Torn the "oil change flap" off the main engine underpanel. If you never use this flap, always remove the entire panel, and always wash the grit out the fasteners before reinstalling, you will have next to problems. A very occasional fastener failure, just keep a few spares on hand.
    3. Driven over enough curbs and/or wheel stops that the forward underpanel is severely abraded and missing a lot of fasteners. Unfortunately this is very vulnerable: you can drive up and over wheel stops easily, then it snags (royally), coming back off.

Your call what to do. I got a feel this is all for nought, but hey, that's what cargo cult is all about, lol. Here's a good online source for the parts involved:

SPLASH SHIELDS for 2010 Toyota Prius | Toyota Parts

I'll also attach something with more clarity on engine underpanel parts numbers.

A few pics:

The front underpanel. Mainly held on with bolts: one type a machine bolt, the other a coarse thread screw, into a nylon gromet pushed onto the bumper trailing edge. There's one push-in plastic style fastener, near the center:

upload_2017-4-17_12-22-33.png
    Close up of the fasteners. The coarse thread screws screw into nylon blocks, another part you'll likely need to track down, should show in the Toyota Online Parts link:
    upload_2017-4-17_12-23-29.png
    The main engine underpanel:
    upload_2017-4-17_12-29-38.png
    Close up of the fasteners, arranged roughly in order. Front of car near the fob. The two with daub of white paint (and grey heads) are at the oil change flap. Basically there's two parts numbers for the push-in style fasteners, see the attachement.:
    upload_2017-4-17_12-30-45.png

Hands-down the easiest way to get all these fastener part numbers would be to go into a dealership parts department, they will get you sorted.

Attached Files:

5. Currahee

Currahee Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're missing the front piece in the pic before removing the oil pan access panel:

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    As is often the case, nobody bothered to answer the OP's main question. Is the undertray necessary?

It helps with aerodynamics, as you surmised.
    It keeps the engine a little cleaner.
    It will protect the parts from "road debris". The CV joint boots are the main thing I'd be concerned about. Grit or even a stick on those can be the start of a "bad day".

But you can operate the car without them. Around here, many cars, not just Prius, loose them from ice ruts.

Your call.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have the same plan as you OP. I'm tearing them off as I lose them. I lost something on passenger wheel well area already. I've done this to all my previous cars. I'm sure they serve an aerodynamic and cleanliness purpose. Maybe they prevent grass fire as well but I don't drive on grass.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The front underpanel was not available at Toyota Parts Online, but it is on Amazon (US):

upload_2017-4-18_8-44-40.png

I've got one of the above in a "basket", but considering the price (and especially amazon.ca price, much higher), I opted to repair mine, no problems since. There's trouble spots that scrape on concrete wheel stop. Piss-poor design, you just have to be careful, don't drive over them, then it'll last. My repair:

upload_2017-4-18_8-52-23.png
    upload_2017-4-18_8-52-43.png
    upload_2017-4-18_8-53-42.png

#8 Mendel Leisk, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  9. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Or as road hazards remove them such as ladders:eek:.

How's your newborn and wife doing?