1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Understanding Prius trims, space-vs-mileage ratio and pricing

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by priusnubi, Aug 30, 2023.

1. priusnubi

priusnubi New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am a diehard Gen4 Toyota Camry fanboi but the wife wants a newer car, she's just tired of the Camry that just doesn't die (I have 3 and the lowest mileage is 247k mi)

Been always curious about the Prius and she has agreed to allow the purchase of a Prius - we both need more space - more space than a 1999 Camry can provide. I've been able to talk her out of SUVs

We are going for the highest space-vs-mileage ratio where SUVs and compacts (Fit/Corolla) have extremely poor space-vs-mileage ratio

I always thought of Prius to be spacious cars but the brand new ones are like a Hybrid Corolla - so in my mind, a Prius is really the Gen2 Prius

and the "Prius C" are the compact Prius?

Would like to get a crash course on Prius:

1. Is a 2015 Toyota Prius Two guaranteed to be Fourth generation?
    2. Does a 2015 Toyota Prius Two vs 3 vs 4 vs 5 all have the same space, just increasing comfort and accessories? I don't care much about comfort and accessories - I am buying a Prius for the space-vs-mileage ratio
    Anyone here familiar with the Southern California used car market?
    3. What should be a fair value of a single owner, 98k miles, good condition (low impact rearend accident, inside looks brand new)? $10k? $12k? $14k?
    4. Is KBB a good indicator? What are some good estimate indicators? I am so used to paying sub $2k for my tank Camrys that paying $10k+ for a used car blows my mind so I need external crutches
    5. Are these good value: 24599375, 24718403 on carmax (I can't post links right now)

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    A 2015 Prius is a Gen3 and is known to have engine problems. Since you keep cars a long time, go with a 2016-2022 Gen4, The only known problem in Gen4s is the heat exchanger develops coolant leaks into the exhaust, but a low cost DIY that bypasses this is on PC.

JeffD

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You want a gen4 2016 or newer Prius. That excludes a 2016-17 Prius v which is still gen3 with a litany of potentially costly issues which make the expected $2500 battery replacement look like child’s play.

More space? Not really in a gen4 Prius other than the fact it’s nominally a hatchback. Mpg and reliability? Yes.

A 2019 or newer Rav4 hybrid gives you space and acceptable mpg. 2022 or newer for a slight facelift and remaining factory hybrid warranty. The newer hybrids have full advanced safety systems which only need one activation to make the newer vehicle cost a non factor.

#3 rjparker, Aug 31, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2023
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just got a '24 camry hybrid. way more space than any prius, but not as versatile.

first short trip returned 59 mpg