1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

uneven tire wear and front end noise, coincidence?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rocketrob, Feb 19, 2011.

1. rocketrob

rocketrob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My '07 is rolling on 3 OEM Integritys. The 4th tire was replaced with another Integrity at only 570 miles (at 'Just Tires') due to nail stuck thru the sidewall.

Now I'm coming up on 50K miles and it's time for a new set of tires. I've noticed that the front passenger-side is worn significantly more than the other three tires. The tread is thinner and both inside and outside edges are rounded. What could cause this?

I keep my tires inflated properly, either dealer's 35/33 setting (when it's cold out) or sometimes up to 40/38 in the hot summer months.

The alignment is fine, but the car has had the steering shaft replaced twice due to "excessive play" (dealer's words). This manifests as a slight 'knock' when turning the wheels (esp. on inclines) and feels like a deadspot that roams in wheel position. The car continues to have the same issue, despite new steering columns.

I'll also add, there is a heavy metallic knocking/rattle noise coming from the front end whenever driving over rough pavement (like speed humps) but only when the brakes are slightly engaged. (yes, the engine mount TSB service has already been performed.)

Would the right-front wear more quickly if I favor right-hand turns and take them at higher speeds?

Could the replacement tire from Just Tires be lower-quality rubber?

OR .. Could there be an underlying issue related to the steering/suspension system that explains the front end noise AND the uneven wear?

Any thoughts?

2. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Time for a wheel alignment on the front!!! Hal

3. rocketrob

rocketrob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Alignment is OK. Just had it done at 41K.

4. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did the alignment folks mention anything about week struts [shocks] or anything else? Worn out road suffuses can cause allot road noise.I notice it especially on the truck side of the road! It does sound like your Prius has excessive noise though. I normally drop the tire pressure to about 34 lbs. on rough road surfaces! You could try that and see if there is a noticeable difference. Hal

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you rotated your tires every 5000 miles?

6. rocketrob

rocketrob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hmm.. maybe not. It is part of a normal oil change?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, they would charge extra. 50K is pretty good with no rotation and you will never get even wear without it. cars are not perfect, even when aligned properly. and things change as you have different amounts of people/cargo on board. i think you're fine. put on a new set of tires, rotate them every 5000, and i hope you get 50K out of the next set!

8. rocketrob

rocketrob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the feedback.

Related to the front end cluck/rattle and knock in the steering, I found a related thread.

It appears the struts could be worn out. Hopefully platinum extended warranty covers it!

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

All bets are off till you replace the Integrities as they are hands down one of the most god awful piece of junk tires ever made. Its astounding to me you have 50,000 miles on these tires. Mine were unbarable in road noise alone at 29,000.

Crappy tires will beat the sh*t out of the suspension.

Don't spend another dime on anything till you get those tires off the car. You won't believe how bad they are till you get a new set of.......anything.

10. rocketrob

rocketrob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup, getting new tires on Monday from my friendly and incredibly honest neighborhood independent Toyota shop.

Car goes to the Stealership on Thursday for them to investigate the knock/rattle noise. They have failed to properly diagnose it twice now ... I'm hoping that suggesting the struts to them will help get this resolved.

11. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'd sure be interested in knowing if struts fixed the problem. Local dealership so far is saying it's the engine mount, and it's about $400 cheaper to just ignore it. I'm not convinced, though -- too much hard-knock feel in the steering wheel for me to believe it's struts.

12. rocketrob

rocketrob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's the thing, I had the engine mount taken care of but the clunk/rattle when driving over bumps still continues. I had the steering column replaced and the steering knock still continues. It's very frustrating to have on a car w/ only 50K with continual issues.

13. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Which shop is this? Seems like people in LA are always asking for "a good hybrid shop." Maybe they don't specialize in hybrids but a dedicated Toyota shop would be the next best thing. At least it would be a place for folks to try out.

14. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First fix the suspension problem, then worry about the tires. (Not fixing the suspension will just chew up the replacement tire. Rotating the tires without fixing the suspension would have chewed up *all* of the tires.) If you've only ever taken the car to that one shop for service, take it to a Toyota dealer for another diagnosis, because it sounds like these guys are not seeing something important.

And By The Way, 50K on the OEM Integrities is excellent. 25K is not uncommon.

15. rocketrob

rocketrob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Isn't that contradictory? ... 50K on OEM Integrities with a car that potentially has a suspension problem.

The car goes to both the independent shop and the dealer, depending on the work needed. So far it's been the dealer that may be missing something important, I haven't asked the shop to diagnose the clunk/rattle noise. Perhaps I should.

16. rocketrob

rocketrob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok, I'll plug the shop in the forums.

The place is LTS Mastertech in East Pasadena, CA. They actually do specialize in Toyota Hybrids. They just opened at this location ~8 months ago (?), the owner/operators are extremely knowledgable and forthright. It's been a pleasure whenever I take my car there. Highly recommended for anyone in the LA area.

1 person likes this.
  17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Personnally I found the Integrities so loud it would be hard to diagnose anything from the cabin. New tires are the way to go glad your getting them Monday. That will probably fix about 75% of your front end issues. Then get a front end alignment. During alignment they will be able to see if anything's bent or loose. A clunk could be alot of things like something loose.
    Our cars have a very simple front end suspension and you don't have a lot of miles on the car so it shouldn't be anything bad.

In the future watch the tires closely for uneven wear.

18. rocketrob

rocketrob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've read thru tire threads here, but could you recommend a good tire?

I'm considering Yokohama Touring, maybe 195/65 instead of the OEM 185/65.

19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Oh boy you had to ask!!! :D

There's so many available. I went with Kumho Solara's @195 also. Really nice tire but not a LRR tire so I took a 3 mpg hit. But they were really cheap. Night and day ride difference and quiet too.

The Michelin's are excellent and there's a few posters that have those Yoko's too. Lots of Goodyears Triple Treads...

Please be aware if your local tire store can't get a brand Tirerack.com will drop ship your tires right to them if they are on there preferred dealer list. I got mine at Tirerack and they were dropped for me.

Lots of posters used Costco too with coupons. So shop around a little. All depends on what you can afford. You may have to drop some money in the front end soon.

20. rocketrob

rocketrob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good to know. I'll check their selection.

I better not be! The Platinum Extended Warranty has been a good choice for me so far.