1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Uneven tires

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by nooaah, Mar 25, 2010.

1. nooaah

nooaah New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Let's say someone's left front tire is 43psi and the right front is 42psi--that someone being me. Safety concerns aside, what sort of effect could this potentially have on your mileage?

I found my tires to be off by 1-2PSI on each side recently. Obviously I evened them out immediately, but it made me wonder if I could've lost a significant percentage of potential efficiency. Thoughts?

2. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I think there is 1 to 2 pounds of random error in most tire pressure gauges, so you shouldn't expect to get an exact measure that is more precise. Furthermore, your tires will differ by a couple pounds of air pressure if some are in the sunlight and others in the shade. I wouldn't worry about 1 pound difference in tire air pressure.

1 person likes this.
  3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not a problem, as mentioned above they change more than that if the sun shines on one side for a while. Radial ply tires don't grow in circumference the way bias ply tires did with increased pressure. Just set them to within a pound of each other in the morning when they are cool and you should be OK. A lot of people are probably driving around with tires that are not within 10 or 15 lbs of each other and don't even know it. :eek:

1 person likes this.
  4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tumbleweed,

The issue with the sun shining on one side for a while is something that I just recently discovered. Since I have purchased a 0-60 psi tire gauge where you can really see the difference in 1 psi I have noticed that the tires on one side read 1-2 psi higher than the other in my driveway. That is when I noticed that the sun hits only one side of the car in the morning. Turned the car around and an hour later the other side read 1-2 psi high. Amazing discovery !!

Sorry nooaah, didn't mean to steal your thread !!

Dwight

5. nooaah

nooaah New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Haha go for it. This site is all about learning everything possible about our cars. :)

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1-2 PSI shouldn't be an issue. The fronts should be 2 PSI higher than the rears anyway.

7. nooaah

nooaah New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, I just meant a slight variation from one side to the other. I run my Gen3 at 44/42.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow... I run mine 40/38 (38/36 on the Gen 2's WRs)

9. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Same here. 44/42 must be like riding on concrete tires :p

10. nooaah

nooaah New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Haha, I honestly haven't noticed much of a difference.

11. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I thought the same thing when I first got the Prius. I took the pressure to 40/38 and thought that was about as hard as I wanted it. Now that the temperature has risen substantially my tire pressure has slowly increased to over 42/40. When I checked it last weekend, I decided to leave it at 42/40 since I had gotten used to it. It is surprising to me how quickly I have gotten used to the higher pressure. I have even raised the pressures in my wife's 2007 Honda Accord to get more wear in the middle of the tire.

12. mmichaell

mmichaell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I could be wrong, but last week when temps rose from 30s to 60s it felt as if the tires were more comfortable (I always keep them at 39/35 cold presssure). So maybe heat has something to do with the comfort as well - more pliable tires maybe?

13. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You are correct about temperature having an affect on the comfort, especially the first few miles. A cold tire feels a whole lot harder than a hot tire. When I first drive off in the morning, and even in the afternoon, the tires feel really hard. Once the tire gets up to temperature, it feels much better.