1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Uneven volume across sources

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by LDB, Mar 26, 2016.

1. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    On AM/FM the volume has to be turned to ~40 for an acceptable volume level. On satellite for a similarly acceptable volume level the setting is 20. Forgetting to turn down from the 40 when checking local traffic or whatever and picking an XM channel results in a near ear splitting bombardment. Anyone had a similar experience? Know of a fix? Please call Toyota, 800-331-4331 if you've experienced this and report it. If enough calls go in maybe they'll figure out a fix and issue a TSB for it.

2. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The issue is signal strength. I saw this with MP3 files ripped from my CDs.

Ideally, all media should be recorded at the maximum output possible before you get distortion/noise. If you worked in broadcasting, it would be right up to the point where the UV meter goes into the red.

Sadly, this is not so. Hence, different sources can vary in strength, and ultimately, your volume knob is just a setting on how much you want to amplify the output.

For my MP3 collection, I used a software program that "normalized" the signal across all files, making them more consistent. I don't think there's such a creature for various inputs short of a volume control that lets you set by output db and self-adjusts as needed.

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This does not solve the signal strengths but each source has independent volume settings. Have you tried adjusting the individual settings?

4. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'll have to look for info on that. I wasn't aware that was an option.

5. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ah, I see what you mean.

I can't say for certain, but I've noticed (at times) that the volume for one source is different from another. I didn't expect that, and I can't quite confirm that it's so. It does makes sense, though, because the signal strength from AM/FM stations will be much lower than what you get from a CD or USB input. Letting you have different volume settings lets you set each where you find it works best so you don't have to keep raising and lowering volume.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you mean simply leaving the volume where it is when changing sources? i don't find that to work at all. what other way is there to 'adjust individual settings'?

7. liquidtenmillion

liquidtenmillion Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On my Prius Three my volume is also different, down to the same numbers approximately, like yours. I think this is a problem on all Prius Three(or prius with Display audio and Entune Nav). This is not a problem with the two(display audio) or the 4+(Premium HDD Navigation).

Also, the volume on this unit is NOT independent, all sources use the same volume, so set it to 40 on FM and switch to SAT it will be 40.

Unfortunately, I do not know of any solution other than to switch it to 20 before I go to the satelite.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's what i do too. when i remember.:cool:

9. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, the problem is remembering every time.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when i change from radio, which requires about 40, to usb which requires about 20, and forget?:eek: no wonder i'm going deaf.:cool: