1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unexpected beeping - feature

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AndyMartin826, Jul 17, 2006.

1. AndyMartin826

AndyMartin826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So, I leave the house this morning for work, and have a couple of large packages to drop at the post office on my way in (total around 20 lbs or so). I put them in the passenger seat and take off. About 10 seconds later, I hear a beep alarm . . . beep . . . beep . . . beep. I'm looking around, making sure the reverse camera isn't on (I'm driving forward at this point, so I'm hoping it's not the reverse-beep). I don't see any warnings on the dash or MFD. It's gets more persistent, beep-beep-beep-beep!!!! That's when I notice it's the seat-belt warning over on the passenger side. Since I put the packages there, I guess it thought that someone was sitting in the front seat and started yelling to buckle up. I stopped, reached over and fastened the seat belt and the beeping stopped. Interesting - any ideas on how to keep that from happening, other than just keeping the passenger side seat belt fastened?

Also noticed that it had disabled the passenger airbag. I'm guessing since the weight in the seat was around 20 lbs that it assumed it was a child in the front seat and did the safe thing, turning off the airbag. Very cool feature.

EDIT: Nevermind, search is a wonderful thing :)

2. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It does go off after a short bit. Not that big of a deal for me.

3. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

the Prius is smart !

4. GreenGene

GreenGene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep, had that happen to me. I took a bunch of newspapers to be recycled, put them on the front seat, and was out of the driveway and down the street when beep-beep-beep. I had the same kind of reaction as you did. When I realized what it was, I put the seatbelt on the newspapers. :) That afternoon, I turned off the seat belt beep.

5. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AZTriGuy @ Jul 17 2006, 12:54 PM) [snapback]287613[/snapback]</div>
    If you are in the habit of carrying objects on the front seat get yourself a plastic basket with 2" sides a little larger than a desk "in" tray. Put it on the seat and wind the seat belt around the front of the tray and fasten it as normal.
    This will accomplish two things; holds the basket, an hence its contents, in place and stops the seat belt beeper.