1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unexpected fuel spill

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pepa, Dec 23, 2004.

1. pepa

pepa New Member

I went today to refuel with two indicator squares left, expecting to put in the tank around 8 gallons. Note that it is cold - below 10F.

The pump stopped after pumping around 3 gallons. No suprise there - that happens at times with my other cars as well. All it takes is to turn the nozzle sideways and all is fine.

Except what happened with Prius was unexpected. The tank suddenly made this low bubbling sound and spilled out at least 1/4 gallon of gas. It was pouring out from the tank for at least two more seconds after the nozzle was stopped and removed!

The pump counter indicated 5.8 gallons used, and sure enough the display is two squares short of full tank!

Any advice? Did I do something wrong?

2. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Hasn't happened to me but it has been reprted many times in this forum.

3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :roll: Doesn't that 'FROST' you...!!

You did NOTHING WRONG. Sounds like the filler nozzle on your gas pump could have been set to not cut off until the back pressure was high. Conceivably, this could have 'stretched' the fuel bladder causing the 'upchugged' fuel when you removed the nozzle. I have read that there are wide variations in the fuel nozzle settings from station to station and pump to pump.

Last fill [last 'pip' - no blinking] I had a similar experience. I think the Japanese engineers went just a little overboard with the O-ring seal on the filler pipe AND the bladder. Admittedly it does prevent gasolene fumes escaping into the atmosphere when your fueling your Prius; however, practical variations lead to unpredicatable results. My intent: I won't try to force the last quarts in.

My '04 is within the VIN range for the filler-pipe fuel gauge replacement TSB but I still have about 30,000 miles left in warranty and am reluctant to let a dealer do all the disassembly/reassembly required.

In a way, we are still 'Guniea Pigs' - so enjoy your UNIQUE wheels !!

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not quite so. The pump shut off automatically after pumping 3 gallons. Pepa squeezed 2.8 additional gallons into the car before the Prius regurgitated.

5. pepa

pepa New Member

Yes, but if I left it at these 3 gallons, the tank would have been only half full.

This was my third fill-up, it did not happen before, so I think it may be because of the low temperatures today. Next time I go get gas I'll pump it more slowly, it may help if the fuel does not create havoc inside the bladder as it possibly does when pumped at normal pressure which is quite high at this Mobil station - or so I think...

My apology to these who pointed that this was already discussed here, I haven't noticed it until now...