1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unexplained accident damage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by brianw, Apr 24, 2009.

1. brianw

brianw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone. I was hoping I could get some opinions here. My 2008 Prius that is driven by my wife was hit straight on in the rear by a big old buick (think tank). He almost stopped in time and the damage to the rear bumper was minimal but the bumper cover did sag down several inches afterwards The force did manage to tear the bumper from some clips holding it on and broke other clips holding it on. After the accident we noticed a small quarter sized dent or buckle in the passenger rear quarter panel. The thing is, it is not where the rear bumper pushed into the quarter panel (that part is not bent), it is all the way forward at the front or the panel right at the back of the rear door. Have any of you had this happen or think it could have happened as the result of a rear collision. I figured the front might just be weaker metal that buckled in about an eigth on an inch at the most. The insurance company does not understand how it could have happened but it would be one heck of a coincidence to have two things hit the car the same day. I gave the insurance guy an example of stepping on an aluminum can with your foot. The can is not damaged where your foot impacts it, it is damaged in the center where the metal is weaker.

I also saw a Cadillac in an auto body repair book that had the front of the rear quarter panel buckles from a rear impact. The back of the qtr. panel was undamaged. Perhaps it can happen in a Prius too.??

The insurance guy thinks it looks like someone dented the metal in next to the door putting something in the car. I think it just looks buckled in (and out). We don't even use the back seat so I know that isn't it.

Do you all think my wife had the car hit twice in one day or does this sound like normal Prius damage from a rear collision?

2. swi66

swi66 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think your insurance guy is trying to save a few bucks.
    A car most certainly can buckle like that.
    Ask the opinion of a few different shops.

I had an older car rear ended many years ago.
    Their hardest problem fixing it was getting the doors to have proper gaps again., the rear quarters were puished forward enough to chip the paint on the doors, they did rebound some to their original position, but when viewing the side of the car, the gaps were not like where they were.
    I was actually asked by the colision shop if it was "OK" to not fix that. I said
    "no way"and it went out to be put on a frame machine to be pulled back into place.

Don't let anyone try and kid you.
    There may always be some hidden damage, the trick is finding it and repairing it properly.

We had a Subaru hit in the left front, shifted the whole front to the right.
    I thought sure the car was totalled, but as it was only 6 months old, insurance had to fix it.
    Frame straightened, front clip[, front facia, suspension components, half shaft, found damage to the transaxel. When I went to pick up the car I looked underneath and saw some buckling, in the unibody they didn't repair. They never even figured that into the estimate because it wasn't visible, so they said. If I could find it, it could be found at trade in time, so back to work they went.
    When supposedly finally done, they discovered the electrical system was screwed up as well. Ended up changing both the underhood and underdash harnesses.

Costs exceeded what the car was worth, but they didn't total it because they kept finding more, and kept authorizing it.