1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unhappy will JBL tweeter placement on Gen III (IV)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Ron Jubilee, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Ron Jubilee

Ron Jubilee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've had my Gen III (IV SR) for a couple of weeks now and I rode in a Gen II yesterday and noticed how well balanced and NATURAL the sound is in the front on the Gen II vs. the Gen III (IV).

On the Gen III, the tweeters in the IV are mounted in the corners of the dash - up under the windshield - which creates a sound tunnel that sails right into your ears and overpowers them. Basically, all you can hear are those tweeters.

In the Gen II, they are mounted on the doors - in the sail panels - and the sound is rich and detailed. I could hear and discern the woofers in the front and I could hear and feel the speakers in the back.

I wish there was a way to just turn the tweeters down in the front, so that the warm, richness of the woofers could be more defined.

What is everyone else feeling?

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Technically they're squawkers as their crossover frequency is noticeably lower. Still quite overpowering and only fading to the rear or cutting the highs have any effect. I suppose you could dash mat w/ holes as well.

*** Moved to Audio and Electronics ***

3. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Completely agree - I typically need to have the fader to R3 or 4 just to hear a bit of surround sound from rear speakers. Then the overall sound is not quite 'full' enough. The sound seems never just "right". And I think you may have hit it re the tweeters and possible acoustic reflection on the windshield. Can't compare to Gen II as I've never tested.

4. jsharpe

jsharpe Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You guys are all missing the obvious solution. Just get old! The natural roll off of high frequency response in the geezer generation nicely balances it all out. :D

5. RickFlashman

RickFlashman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Fader R3 did the trick for me, made it 'perfect'.