1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unhappy with my Draw-Tite hitch for bike rack

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Bjartmarr, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Bjartmarr

Bjartmarr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I recently purchased a Draw-Tite hitch for use with a bike rack on my 2013 Prius. The threads I read on here seem to imply that this is a good choice, on par with the similarly-priced Curt rack.

But the Draw-Tite hitch has a very short receiving tube, with a stopper welded about 1.5 inches behind the hitch pin hole. The rack that I bought (and afaict every other used rack that I've looked at) will not go far enough into the receiving tube to align the hole on the hitch with the hole on the tube. While there may be some rack somewhere that will work, most will not, and hitch companies do not make this information easily accessible.

I understand that the Curt rack does not have this stopper -- I wish I had known to buy that one instead.

If anyone has a rack that works with their draw-tite hitch, would you please let me know the model? Thanks!

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can the stopper be cut or grinded off? Maybe a fab/machine shop can do it at a minimal price.

3. comfortstarr

comfortstarr New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any update on this? Was it "Draw-Tite Class I Sport Frame Receiver Hitch - 2017 Toyota Prius"? It appears--going by etrailer--that Curt now has two hitches that work with 2017 prius. I'm in the process of figuring this out for my new prius.

4. Boise Jim

Boise Jim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah, I just got that Draw-Tite hitch on my 2010, and that stopper is there. Both my bike racks work fine, but my ball mount won't (want to get a small trailer). Have to get a new mount. Wish I got the Curt...

5. mrwzrd

mrwzrd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Since you are dealing with light loads (bikes) you could just cut off the extra length. Put a measuring tape in the receiver and read the depth through the hole to determine how far beyond the back edge of the pin hole the plug is. Then measure from the back of the hole on the rack and mark the same distance. Cut off anything past that mark so that the rack tongue will seat into the receiver and have the hole align. Even the solid tongues can be cut with a hand hacksaw.

I don't like anything that disturbs the aerodynamics and bike do that as do things on the roof and things being pulled behind.
    Best way to move bikes... with a truck. ;-)

6. Bjartmarr

Bjartmarr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's great! Which model racks do you have that work with the draw-tite hitch?

7. Boise Jim

Boise Jim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I take that back! Spent a half hour yesterday grinding out a channel for one of my racks so it would fit. Needless to say, pretty pissed that I bought it.