1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Uninformed salespersons

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Sofonisba, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Sofonisba

Sofonisba New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Good morning all......

So here I am, looking to buy a Prius V five with the ATP. I'm very excited, as my 1997 4Runner doesn't get the best mileage (but I still love it all the same). I'm a girl, and not a very car savoy one at that, so I've been doing a bit of research before going out to look at them. (I've been on the fence about the ATP, not because I don't like it, but trying to decide if it's worth nearly six grand [I decided it was worth it])

So now I really know what I want, but still I like to hear what people who know the product have to say. I go to one dealership. (I live in central CA btw) They didn't have the V 5 with the ATP in stock. So I ask the salesperson about it. She doesn't know much about it, says it's not worth it, and that there's nothing in the ATP that isn't on the V's without it. This salesperson was very nice, and fairly knowledgeable about the car in general, but not as much as I would have liked, and with knowing much about the ATP (quite a chunk of $) I really didn't feel this was the place to buy.

Dealership #2..... I pull up, tell them what I'm looking for and we head to the Vs. They don't have any with the ATP either. We take a (very short) test drive and then head into the office. I ask him about the ATP. He doesn't know what that is, and has to go ask the manager. He comes back and tells me it's a package. I really didn't know what to say... What's in it? And can I get a brochure? He goes to get one, and some time later returns with it and a little book. I open the brochure and start asking about the items in the ATP, while he looks in his book. He starts reading (from his book) and starts telling me what comes in the ATP. Bla, bla, bla.... HUD comes in the package he says. Really? I say, being pretty sure this isn't correct. What is the HUD exactly? I ask. He pulls out his phone and Googles it. Sigh......

Has anyone else had this experience? I understand it's a fairly new and uncommon car, and the ATP is more uncommon (maybe, maybe it's just because of the fairly rural area I'm in) but still I think if I can do a few hours of research and know way more than them something is very wrong. Is this the norm these days? Does anyone know of a good dealership/salesperson in the CA bay area? Are V's with the ATP so difficult to find that I won't be able to test drive one?

Thanks for listening, I know I ramble on sometimes..... just frustrated.....

2. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Well, I feel it is always my responsibility to know more about the vehicle I am going to purchase than the sales person. He/she must know about several and all I need to do is study one. Since back in the late 80's I have done this and it works. I spend at least 6 months researching to decide which car I want. Then I try to spend that much time again learning everything I can about it. I go to a dealership armed and ready. I never expect the salesman to know as much as I do about the vehicle. It is a pleasant surprise when one does know what I know. This time though, I spent a year researching a vehicle then dropped it and bought the Prius instead. I had 30 days to arm myself and I used this forum a lot.
    You have come to the right place for your research and you will find most everything you need right here. Learn what you can then don't worry about what the sales person knows. Just work them for the lowest dollar purchase you can. I always feel good after buying a new vehicle. The dealer made money and I saved money. I got what I wanted and so did the dealership. If you are not happy dealing with a dealership, leave before you get pressured into something you are not happy with. Being a female you might have an advantage; Some dealerships don't expect you to understand the vehicle. Sneak in and bite them.
    Have fun,
    Dan

3. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Good information here: http://priuschat.com/attachments/2012-prius-v-product-info-pdf.32333/
    from this thread -> http://priuschat.com/threads/2012-prius-v-press-release-materials.98162/

I can't believe that Prius v's with ATP are that hard to find. Just look at Dianna's inventory down in the San Diego area here; http://priuschat.com/threads/diannes-socal-prius-v-wagon-inventory-for-summertime-2012.113636/

Everybody that has gone to visit/buy there has had great things to say about their experience. If I ever get the chance I'm stopping there to see their fleet of Prii and say hello.

I have the Adv. Tech. Pkg (ATP) and do not regret getting it, but each person's buying situations is different. I was sold on the premium HDD Navigation with 7 inch screen with split screen capability. I was pleasantly surprised by the usefulness of the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC) and I hope never to find out how useful the Pre-Collision System (PCS) is. I got to use the Safety connect system once when I had a flat tire last Tuesday, and it got me off to an easy start to getting back on the road 40 minutes later. I enjoy being able to look up in the sky with the Panoramic view moonroof. I am still subscribing to SiriusXM 6 months at a time (approx $34), but can do without it.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, call dianne. ir is well worth the drive and you can have it serviced locally.

DianneWhitmire likes this.
  5. Sofonisba

Sofonisba New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Unfortunately I am a bit more Northern than that, living in the Tracy area. I'm thinking of looking in the Dublin / Pleasanton / Walnut Creek area and seeing what they have.

6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Check out Dianne Whitmire, Carson Toyota, it will be worth your time!
    One can not help but state the obvious repeatedly!
    Plus, she is a really nice lady!

Here is her latest thread...
    Dianne's SoCal end of August deals! | PriusChat

DianneWhitmire likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oh c'mon, F8L drove down from sac! :p ask him about his experience.

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Somebody bum doped you about the relationship between gender and automotive savoy.
    It's 2012.
    Even if you're trying to build or fix a car, instead of just trying to buy one...gender should be a non-issue.

You sound like you're already fairly well informed about the V-model, and the rest is really pretty easy...especially if you live in the PRC.
    Toyota's web presence sucks...but you can live with it, let your fingers do a little swiping and determine which local dealerships have the V-model that you're interested in....go to the nearest one and look at it in person.
    If at all possible, leave the 4Runner at the house, unless you're one of those rare people who intend not to trade.
    Call before you go. Sometimes dealerships will "share inventory" amongst several locations.

Once you've decided on make, model, trim and color........SHOP!
    Like I said before....it's 2012 now. Every dealership has (or should have) an internet sales associate...and you should be able to get a hard OTD (out the door) quote before you visit the dealership.
    The last time I bought a vehicle? I did it the old school way, but that was only because the Chief of the House was undecided as to make/model. Two times before that? I had a hard quote (PO) and I paid what they quoted.

It's not a heavy lift if you KNOW what you want, and you're willing to put a few fingerprints on your tablet.

Two last things.
    You're semi-decided on the ATP, and so I'll almost spare you my opinion of that trim level's value, but I will suggest humbly that you get pre-approved through a credit union or a bank before you buy, and then let the "Finance Manager" try to beat that rate if they can.
    If you don't qualify for the lowest rates?
    Well.....you probably have no business buying a new car. YMMV.

Also....you're paying enough just for the car. Don't be a sucker and get anything else! You buy FOOD at a grocery store. You buy shoes in a shoe store. Why in the world would you buy anything but a car at a car dealership???
    Don't buy GAP! If you "need" GAP, it's because you're getting skrood on the car, but if you REALLY have to have the car, and your lender "wants" you to get GAP? Get it through your insurance company.
    Don't buy a Warranty!
    Your car already has one. You can get the super "gilded" warranty for a LOT less money later.

You want to know why all of the Auto dealerships have such nice BIG PRETTY showrooms????
    Because people who will drive across town to save $0.25 on a loaf of bread won't drive 250 miles to save $2,000 on a car. ;)

Good Luck!

dustoff003 and KK6PD like this.
  9. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have ATP cars coming out my ears. Call me. Seriously.

10. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Chazz!
    Don't accuse me of being near SD! LOL!
    I'm between LA and Long Beach, essentially.

I can't believe that Prius v's with ATP are that hard to find. Just look at Dianna's inventory down in the San Diego area here; http://priuschat.com/threads/diannes-socal-prius-v-wagon-inventory-for-summertime-2012.113636/

Everybody that has gone to visit/buy there has had great things to say about their experience. If I ever get the chance I'm stopping there to see their fleet of Prii and say hello.

By the way DO stop by! PLEASE! Say hi if you're ever near.

11. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    You don't have to hang out here long... you are also welcome to fly... Sacto to Long Beach is pretty cheap.

12. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Definitely call and visit Dianne... seriously, you will not regret it when shopping for a Prius and live in the SoCal or even NorCal area!

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sofonisba, wher are you? mayhaps on the way to carson?:D

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Personally, I like Toyota Sunnyvale, but it's a bit far for the OP, although nowhere near as far as going to So Cal.

I can't really speak about my dealer's knowledge about the v wagon though. I got my 2nd gen Prius new thru them in January 06. I placed my deposit on late 05 (back then, you had to wait at least month for one). My salesman had a nice sheet (IIRC) which explained the different package choices which my salesman seemed to know well.

15. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    These package differences are easy, frankly. On the v wagon, TOO easy. These sales guys are too lazy.

16. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    NO call, no email. Who knows where she is. I'm heading out at 7 home, and going to enjoy my day off tomorrow (Sunday) and be back Monday. But, my calls usually get routed to my asst. Nathan on Sundays. Maybe their paths will cross.
    Thanks ya'll!!! :love: I appreciate your efforts.

17. Sofonisba

Sofonisba New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

No, there was no call, and no email - I was at work. Sorry, but I'll do this on my schedule, not yours. I don't do pushy salespeople - even if it means paying a little more. Not trying to be rude, just telling it like it is (from my end).

I'm in no rush to get the car, and I have the cash for it, so I think I'm in a pretty good position to get the price I want - being willing to just walk away if I don't get it. I work 5 days a week, and the other two days I take care of my parents who are ill, so going to Southern CA isn't an option unfortunately.

I live near Tracy, CA (as I said above) so I'll call around the bay area and see what I can find. Sunnyvale isn't too far (and I lived there a few years ago) I'll give them a call, thanks cwerdna.

And thanks for the wisdom ETC(SS), I appreciate it. I will admit that I have pulled the 'poor helpless woman' routine before, when I knew what was doing, to see if someone was trying to pull the wool over my eyes. It's shameless, I know, but it can be a good way to try to see who's being honest with you (and who's trying to be a macho show off).

And thanks all - I've learned a ton being here!
    Have a great Sunday everybody!!!

Sofonisba

18. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    "Ignorance" & "salesman" are never far apart. When I asked one if he had a V-AT his response was "Automatic Transmission?". Even when their entire product line is one car I can't get answers.

Read through New car buying guide, avoiding dealer scams, new cars, used car buying and if you have AAA you can use their buying program to get up to 3 quotes.

19. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I think you misread the intent here for the guys.
    And, I'm sorry you felt anyone was being pushy. Just exuberant.
    The guys' communication was to try and help you in regards to the wagon, because I think they have seen my sale posts for cars at the low $33K level .. and they are aware the difficulty of finding it. I believe they have also seen many buyers pop back in and post about how they either had a car shipped to them from me, or popped in on a plane and drove home quick.
    I was more answering them than anything else.
    We've all been round this place for years so we often just get going in our little world LOL! ;)

BTW: I know where you are geographically... I'm from Northern CA originally and had a home in Morada (between Stockton and Lodi) many years ago! My son's nanny was in Manteca back then.

As for the car, possibly another avenue to make it easier if you're open to it being shipped or a quickie Sac'to to LA or Long Beach flight is possible, I do have a few AT package cars on special this coming weekend at $33,333 (a catchy little #!) and if not, no worries!

I have a few folks awaiting the 2013's to arrive because there's a new color - the sea glass pearl - and that's going to be a pretty one! :) ... no changes, far as I can see. Just an added color to the exterior.

Dianne

benagi likes this.