1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unintended Acceleration -- While Parking

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by evpv, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I own a 2010 Prius and I've never experienced any problems. This is not a flame post, I know all about the floor-mat problem, I know about the ABS problem on bumpy surfaces, I know some people try to make flase claims for insurance scams, I know that almost every car will have an unintended acceleration complaint due to driver error.

But my friend owns a 2010 Prius and he recently was pulling into a parking stall at work when suddenly the ICE revved up and the car shot across the curb/sidewalk and crashed into another parked car. He's been driving for 30 years and he's sure all he was doing was modulating the brake pedal while coming to a complete stop in the parking stall. He described a complete loss of braking with simultaneous application of full power by the computer while his foot was firmly planted on the brake pedal.

At first I thought he was crazy or just made a mistake and hit the gas instead of the brake. That's what most of us think when they hear these problems. But this was an experienced driver in a situation where all he was doing was modulating the brake.

So I prepared some information for him so he could report it to Toyota. I gave them the Toyota SMART Response Team information so he could have the team diagnose the incident.

Newsroom : Toyota Announces 'SMART' Business Process for Quick Evaluation of Unintended Acceleration Reports / Toyota

Toyota Safety - Rapid-Response SMART Team

I also wanted to give him NHTSA information so he could report the incident.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

In doing the NHTSA research, I was rather shocked to read the published complaints of basically the exact same problem he had described to me.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/

Here are some examples of complaints I found when searching in the 2010 Prius "Vehicle Speed Control" category :

THE CONTACT OWNS A 2010 TOYOTA PRIUS. THE CONTACT STATED AS SHE WAS PULLING INTO A PARKING SPACE, THE VEHICLE SUDDENLY SURGED FORWARD AS SHE WAS MAKING A RELATIVELY SHARP LEFT TURN INTO THE SPACE. THE CONTACT STATED SHE WAS PROBABLY GOING 3-5 MPH WHEN THE VEHICLE ACCELERATED. SHE SLAMMED ON THE BRAKES AND WAS ABLE TO STOP THE VEHICLE BEFORE IT CRASHED INTO A PARKED VEHICLE. THE CONSUMER STATED SHE HAD THE RECALL PERFORMED ON THE VEHICLE IN EARLY MARCH. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS APPROXIMATELY 2,700.

----

I HAVE A NEW 2010 PRIUS WITH LESS THAN 1K MILES. ON 4-9-10 WHILE PULLING INTO A PARKING SPOT I EXPERIENCED A SIMULTANEOUS LOSS OF BRAKING COMBINED WITH UNINTENDED SURGE OF ACCELERATION. MY PRIUS JUMPED THE CURB THAT WAS PERPENDICULAR TO THE PARKING SLOT AND STOPPED AS IT SLAMMED INTO A BRICK BUILDING ABOUT 8 FEET BEYOND THE CURB. I UTILIZED MY SAFETY CONNECT BUTTON TO RECORD THE TIME OF THE ACCIDENT AND HAD THE VEHICLE TOWED TO THE DEALER. I CONTACTED TOYOTACUSTOMEREXPERIENCECENTER AND NOW HAVE A CASE #. I WAS TOLD THAT SOMEONE WOULD CONTACT ME WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS. I AM NOT AT ALL COMFORTED BY THIS VERY SCARY INCIDENT. I WOULD JUST LIKE TO HAVE MY 2005 PRIUS BACK AS I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH IT. I AM SEEING THAT MY PROBLEM IS NOT UNIQUE BASED ON MANY SIMILAR PROBLEMS ON THIS NHTSA COMPLAINT SITE.

----

CASE OF SUDDEN UNINTENDED ACCELERATION IN A NEW 2010 TOYOTA PRIUS: I WAS PARKING MY CAR IN A PULL-IN PARKING SPOT IN AN OFFICE BUILDING PARKING LOT. WHILE STRAIGHTENING THE CAR OUT IN THE SPOT, IT SUDDENLY ACCELERATED OUT OF CONTROL AND JUMPED A CURB IN FRONT OF LANDSCAPED SHRUBBERY. A LARGE WOODY BUSH, AND SOFT DIRT STOPPED THE VEHICLE. NO ONE ELSE WAS INVOLVED IN THE ACCIDENT. THE CAR HAS ONLY 2200 MILES ON IT. THE CAR IS CURRENTLY BEING HELD BY THE DEALER, TOYOTA SCION OF EATONTOWN, NJ.

----

THE CONTACT OWNS A 2010 TOYOTA PRIUS. WHILE DRIVING AT LESS THAN 5 MPH, THE CONTACT WAS COMING TO A STOP TO PARK HER VEHICLE WHEN THE VEHICLE ACCELERATED ON ITS OWN. THE BRAKES WERE APPLIED WHERE THEY DID NOT ENGAGE. THE VEHICLE CRASHED INTO A BRICK WALL AND THERE WERE FRONT END DAMAGES AND NO INJURIES. THE VEHICLE WAS TOWED TO A TOYOTA COLLISION SHOP. THERE HAVE BEEN NO DIAGNOSTIC TEST TO INDICATE WHY THE VEHICLE ACCELERATED ON ITS OWN. THE FAILURE AND CURRENT MILEAGE WAS 6000.

----

THE CONTACT OWNS A 2010 TOYOTA PRIUS. WHILE DRIVING 10 MPH WITH THE BRAKE PEDAL ENGAGED, THE VEHICLE ACCELERATED ON ITS OWN . THE CONTACT WAS FORCED TO APPLY PRESSURE TO THE BRAKE PEDAL IN ORDER TO STOP THE VEHICLE. THE CONTACT HAS OWNED THE VEHICLE FOR 5 MONTHS AND THE FAILURE HAS OCCURRED TWICE. THE DEALER WAS CALLED AND STATED THAT THEY HAVE NOT RECEIVED ANY RECALLS FOR HIS VEHICLE; HOWEVER, TO BRING IT INTO TO THE DEALERSHIP FOR A DIAGNOSTIC TEST. NO REPAIRS HAVE BEEN MADE TO THE VEHICLE. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS UNKNOWN AND THE CURRENT MILEAGE WAS 3227.

----

THE CONTACT OWNS A 2010 TOYOTA PRIUS. THE CONTACT WAS BRAKING FROM 2 MPH WHEN THE VEHICLE INDEPENDENTLY ACCELERATED. THE CONTACT APPLIED THE BRAKES AND THE BRAKE PEDAL FELL FARTHER INTO THE FLOORBOARD THAN NORMAL. THE VEHICLE WENT OVER A CURB, SIDEWALK AND OVER A GRASSY AREA BEFORE CRASHING INTO ANOTHER VEHICLE. THE FRONT END OF THE VEHICLE WAS SEVERELY DAMAGED. THERE WERE NO INJURIES. THE VEHICLE WAS TOWED TO A AN AUTHORIZED DEALER WHERE THE CONTACT WAS AWAITING A DIAGNOSIS OF THE FAILURE. THE VEHICLE WAS NOT REPAIRED. THE FAILURE AND CURRENT MILEAGE WAS 13,000.

----

THE CONTACT WAS BRAKING FROM 2 MPH WHEN THE VEHICLE ABNORMALLY ACCELERATED. THE CONTACT WAS UNABLE TO STOP THE ACCELERATION AS THE VEHICLE CRASHED INTO THE ASPHALT OF A DRIVEWAY. THE CONTACT SUSTAINED MODERATE INJURIES. THE VEHICLE WAS TOWED TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER. THE MANUFACTURER SENT AN INVESTIGATOR TO FURTHER INSPECT THE FAILURE. THE INVESTIGATOR STATED THAT THE BRAKE AND ACCELERATOR PEDALS WERE DEPRESSED SIMULTANEOUSLY, CAUSING THE FAILURE. THE CONTACT WAS ADVISED THERE WERE NO FAILURES FOUND IN THE VEHICLE. THE CONTACT REFUSED TO DRIVE THE VEHICLE AND PURCHASED A NEW VEHICLE. THE CURRENT AND FAILURE MILEAGES WERE APPROXIMATELY 1,700. UPDATED 11/19/10. *LJ THE CONSUMER STATED SHE HAD NO CONTROL OF THE VEHICLE, IT JUST SUDDENLY ACCELERATED ON ITS OWN. THE VEHICLE JUMPED OVER A CURB BORDERING THE PARKING LOT, THEN OVER A DRAINAGE DEPRESS/GRASS MEDIAN THROUGH A SIZEABLE SHRUB EDGE. THE VEHICLE THEN SLAMMED INTO A CONCRETE SIDEWALK AND DOWN TO THE STREET CURB, FINALLY STOPPING WITH THE MOTOR OFF AND HAVING BLOWN TWO TIRES.

----

ON 4/20/10 @ 12:50 PM, MY PRIUS ACCELERATED DANGEROUSLY AS I WAS COMING TO A COMPLETE STOP ON A SLIGHT INCLINE. THE CAR SHOT FORWARD THROUGH A RED LIGHT ON A BUSY BALTIMORE ARTERIAL. I WAS BRAKING THE CAR AND TRYING TO TURN IT TO AVOID HITTING A CONCRETE WALL OR CARS IN THE OPPOSITE LANES. I TURNED VERY SHARPLY,UNABLE TO BRAKE THE CAR; I FEARED IT MAY ROLLOVER. MY FOOT WAS ON THE BRAKE THE WHOLE TIME. I HOPPED A CURB ON THE MEDIAN AND CLIPPED A TRAFFIC SIGN. I THEN PARKED THE CAR AND PHONED THE POLICE. IT WAS AMAZING NO ONE GOT HURT OR KILLED. SINCE THIS INCIDENT OCCURRED AFTER TOYOTA SAID THEY FIXED THE PROBLEM, I DO NOT TRUST THEM OR MY CAR. I WANT A REFUND FOR THIS CAR, I WILL NOT DRIVE IT AGAIN:IT IS A DEATH MACHINE.

----

THE CONTACT OWNS A 2010 TOYOTA PRIUS. THE FIRST TIME SHE EXPERIENCED SUDDEN ACCELERATION WAS ON JANUARY 15, 2010. WHILE STOPPED AT THE RED LIGHT WITH HER FOOT ON THE BRAKE THE VEHICLE SUDDENLY ACCELERATED. SHE PUT THE GEAR IN NEUTRAL AND THE VEHICLE STOPPED, AS SOON SHE TOOK THE GEAR OUT OF NEUTRAL THE VEHICLE ACCELERATED AGAIN. SHE EXPERIENCED THE FAILURE FIVE TIMES. SHE TOOK THE VEHICLE TO THE DEALER FEBRUARY 13 2010 THE DEALER REPLACED ACCELERATOR PEDAL AND RESET THE ACCELERATOR COMPUTERIZED SYSTEM. AND ON MARCH 18, 2010 SHE EXPERIENCED THE FAILURE AGAIN WHILE STOPPED AT THE RED LIGHT THE VEHICLE CONTINUED TO ACCELERATE. THE CONTACT STATED SHE WILL TAKE THE VEHICLE BACK TO THE DEALER. THE CURRENT FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 2,000 AND THE CURRENT MILEAGE WAS 4,200.

So after reading those I really don't know what to make of it. Are they all just crazy or bad drivers? My problem is that I know the Prius has throttle over-ride when the brakes are applied, but we've already seen from the ABS/Bump situation that the computer controls all aspects of the brake and throttle. So if the computer has a glitch it is possible for the brakes to fail and throttle to be applied, all without the driver doing anything other than stepping on the brake. This isn't a simple vehicle with mechanical links to the brakes and throttle.

In one of the other threads someone (wwest?) brought up the concept that all of the safety features would go out the window if the computer momentarily freaked out. Perhaps that is what is happening here? After reading the customer complaints on NHTSA it's hard for me to believe those were all driver error or some kind of an insurance scam.

The bottom line for me is... this is a serious situation. I don't want to let my wife or daughter drive the car if there are legitimate concerns about the safety of the electronics. For that matter, I don't really want to be put in a panic situation, or a situation where someone could get seriously hurt if I don't react fast enough. My goal is to get to the bottom of this and help people.

Thoughts? Keep it civil please.

----

Reference:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/index.cfm

Step 1: Vehicle--> Search Selected Type
    Step 2: Year-->2010-->Submit Year
    Step 3: Select Make-->Toyota-->Submit Make
    Step 4: Select Model-->Prius-->Submit Model
    Step 5: Select Component-->Vehicle Speed Control-->Click "Select this box if you would like to see a full summary" -->Submit

1 person likes this.
  2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lol.

1 person likes this.
  3. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have a friend who recently did almost exactly the same thing, but in a 2005 Buick. Is that a "death Machine" too.
    People do tromp on the gas instead of the brake. Almost certainly that is what happened here.

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When I was 17 I scraped my mothers car whilst parking. I didn't tell her because I was young and foolish so I lied and said I knew nothing about it.

Amazing what people will say so as not to look foolish. I would say your friend pressed the wrong pedal and tried to blame the car. They have a 'black box' inside so Toyota will know if he's being economical with truth!

If he is, I hope they slap him with a counter lawsuit.

5. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That's pretty much exactly why I said in my opening paragraph:

"I know that almost every car will have an unintended acceleration complaint due to driver error."

So basically you are saying that all of those complaints were driver error in a relatively simple situation where all they were doing was applying the brakes.

6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well, in a word, YES!
    Sorry!

7. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Why do all these problems happen to "a friend?" I guess he thinks you're an easier target than an anonymous forum.

8. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I actually hated to reply to this because it extends this treads life but I must say...WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO KID? yourself or us?

9 complaints out of 100,000+ Gen III's sold in the US. Lets say .0001% of all Gen III Prius on the road? Absolutely that many people for sure stepped on the gas instead of the brake and lied about it so they would not look like they needed to be institutionalized!

9. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would actually expect some of the more likely places that one may press the wrong pedal would be in a parking lot. You have slow speeds, a sense of "I'm here now" and tend to relax more. Makes me wonder if some didn't involve not engaging "P(ark)" and the car started to move and they hit the wrong pedal. The scenario happened to me once, and I was halfway out of the car. I forgot to even turn it off, but luckily hit the right pedal. It would have been very easy to jump in the car, mash at the pedal, and hit the wrong one. Mental lapses are human nature, and tend to happen when one lets their guard down. I see a parking lot as one of these places. Another place is a driveway that it could happen.

1 person likes this.
  10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    evpv,

The wisest course of action for you would be to never walk in front of or behinds your friends vehicle while he is in the driver's seat.

1 person likes this.
  11. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Seems like you've got yourself between a rock and a hard spot morally
    and philosophically speaking. You can't keep the car because it may be
    broken and hazard your family. You can't in good conscience sell it to
    an unsuspecting buyer.

I can help. I am a suspecting buyer. I will risk my life in the car as is.
    I will buy your car sight unseen for $15K... cashiers check.
    (Don't forget; "this is a serious situation." I'm suspecting, not stupid.)
    Just give me a chance to book a flight to...
    PM me with the VIN, and where and when.

Ball's in your court.

[Edit] By the way, what color is the car?
    Black is an unsafe color, and for that I may have to think twice.

12. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am offering $5,000. just think how much clearer your coincidence will be if you only take $5,000 instead of $15,000.

This is a real offer.

13. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh yeah, $1000 and I will come pick it up next summer!

14. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    How fast does a Prius have to go to jump a parking barrier or curb, then go 8 feet? Starting speed should be parking's 1mph. Would someone who doesn't mind damaging the underside of their car please conduct this important experiment.

Questions to all of those posting complaints: How fast were you going before the UA and how fast afterwards?

IMO the vast majority of the "UA while braking" is just the sensation of acceleration as the brakes transition from regen to friction. Brake over a storm grate & see for yourself.

The USA really needs to raise driver license and/or registration fees and driver training requirements.

15. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not always to a friend, here's an example from a forum member:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...leration-already-had-brakes-reprogrammed.html

The resolution on that one... maybe the unintended acceleration happened because his knee bumped the cruise control stalk.

---

I'm not sure what you mean when you say he thinks I'm an "easier target". He doesn't even know about this forum and I haven't told him about my post.

More info about his situation. First, he has no intention of starting a law suit. He just wants a safe car.

Second, he's planning on fixing the damage and selling the car because he doesn't trust the car anymore. He's going to lose money when he sells the car because he has to disclose the repair work to the buyer. He's going to lose money because the Prius saves him a lot of money on gas each year because he drives a lot for his job. His insurance rates will go up because it's going to be listed as an at-fault accident. He will have to pay the insurance deductibles.

So it's not a great situation for him.

16. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    True. I have a silver Prius V with nav. 4,500 miles. Sticker says $31,500 so I think I can get more than $15,000 for it if I decide to sell. But I'd rather keep the car and have Toyota come out with a fix for it like they did with the ABS/bump problem.

Attached Files:

17. Comrad_Durandal

Comrad_Durandal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is it possible? Sure, in a world of infinite possibilities, it is possible to have a car that accelerated uncontrollably while attempting to park. It's possible that this vehicle is a Prius, and it's possible that this is the result of a vehicle malfunction. Of course, it's also a possibility that Martian death rays from the planet Venus could kill us all.

Is it likely? No.

18. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Not trying to kid anyone. If you read those reports and conclude that every single person is a bad driver and liar, then that's your conclusion. In fact, I would have said the exact same thing a week ago. But now I have a personal friend who's experienced the problem. I have more doubts than if it was just "Jane in Peoria" who crashed her car and lied about it. I wonder what all those liars have to gain from reporting it the NHTSA?

19. JJB

JJB New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, I want to know how to enable this feature. No matter how charged the batteries, and how pissed-off the hamsters under the hood get, I can't make this car shoot across anything.

1 person likes this.
  20. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Try this in a safe area: come to a complete stop, put the car in "Power" mode and "EV" mode, then floor the throttle as fast as you can and immediately let back off the throttle, then apply the brakes as fast as you can to come to a complete stop. See how far you travelled.

In the case of my friend and several other of the cases, they said the engine kicked on and made a loud noise, so I really don't think it's just the transition from regen to friction braking. For that noise to happen they would of had to floor the throttle, which is possible. But what got me thinking was that in most cases my foot never leaves the brake when pulling into a parking lot. My friend said he never took his foot off the brake pedal, he just modulated it as he slowed down and pulled into the parking spot. So it seems less likely they pressed the wrong peddle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.