1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unintended acceleration

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by postjmm, Jul 7, 2005.

1. postjmm

postjmm New Member

Frighteninly, twice this month on my 2004 Prius with less then 1100 miles, without any warning my Prius has accelerated when my feet are off both the brakes and the gas pedal, the second time uphill! The only way to slow down the car is to jam on the brakes extremely hard until I get it to stop completely or to put the prius in neutral. When I put it back in drive or "B" my Prius started to accelerate again! While I had cruise control on earlie, cruise control was off, I know because I turned it on and then off again to make sure! I repeat no feet were on the pedals and this happended while going uphill. Both times I had been going at freeway speeds (60 mph +) and slowed down because of slow traffic, down to 35 mph the second time when it kept creeping up to 50 mph with my feet off the pedals. Im guessing that cruise control is mistakenly kicking in or that the accelerater pedal is not springing back up. Since I didn't think to stick my toe under the pedal while this was happening to force it back up I can't be sure. I've heard of some 2004's stalling on the freeway but not this problem. Otherwise I like the Prius, but this is so scary I fear Im going to have to sell it at with what the options and warranties were a $9000 dollar loss. Please advise, Thank you.
    James,
    2004 Prius owner.

2. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

Why would you take a $9K loss -- these things really maintain their value. Before you decide to sell, why not take it to the dealer it is still under warrantee and I'm sure they can fix it. Relax, it should be fine.

3. RBW111

RBW111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Take it back to your dealer, it should be fixed under warrenty. Something is wrong and dangerous not only to you, but also anyone else around you.

4. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    check your floormat.
    rpm

5. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(onerpm\";p=\"105018)</div>
    I agree. Until I installed the clips to keep my rubber floormat in the right place, I had two acceleration incidents. Since then, and prior to having thick floormats at all, none...

6. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just to clarify the floormat comment, some people have reported that their floormat "catches" the bottom of the accelerator pedal and jams it against the mat and the flooring.

Dave