1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Union of Concerned Scientists Hybrid Scorecard

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cwerdna, Feb 17, 2010.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    (Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread since this isn't strictly about 'forced features' in another thread.)

I received a leaflet in the mail today w/an article about their hybrid scorecard.
    Hybrid Scorecard -- A Comprehensive Ranking of Hybrid Vehicles in the U.S.

Besides the table above, also look at Hybrid Scorecard -- Findings: Advice for Consumers, Lessons for Automakers and Hybrid Scorecard -- Methodology.

To quote from their Spring 2010 Earthwise newsletter which doesn't seem to be online yet:
    Where's Jonnycat26 and his praise of the now dead Aura Hybrid? ;)

2. CarGuy60

CarGuy60 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This was an interesting read from the Lefty Leaning Concerned Scientists. But the final comment on the Aura and author was very high schoolish. At least JohnyCat's Aura brakes work Cwerdna as opposed to your suspect Prius brakes and electronics

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    CarGuy60, cwerdna has a 2006 Prius, you were supposed to belittle his floor mats, his Prius is not in the recall for braking electronics. (Darn FUDsters can't even get their propaganda straight)

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Considering how childish the comments about the superiority of BAS were that we had to endure, it was actually a mature attempt at closure.

It was clear years ago that a mild assist hybrid simply couldn't compete. Attempts like the scorecard help to illustrate that.

Sadly, GM is still planning to introduce BAS+. With that design, you still have a large alternator (very small by hybrid motor standards) that is only air-cooled. The difference is that the battery-pack will be lithium based instead of the current nickel. But with so little actual assist available due to power & supply limitations, what's the point?

Hybrids like Prius & Fusion are leading the pack for mainstream growth. Consumers like the price/efficiency benefit.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    LOL! I don't even have Toyota floor mats. My dealer was able to yank them since I didn't want to pay for them.

I have thin, aftermarket cheap mats that are unsecured (they have no holes) and have never given me any trouble.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep, he was also busy heaping praise (in many cases, blind praise) of GM's BAS hybrids, praising VW, slamming Toyota, whining about his Prius, and etc.