1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

United States Gas Price Temperature Map

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Three60guy, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This is a map of the United States which is color coded for gas price. It is the first of its kind as far as I know. It is awesome. Updated daily. If you are a Gas Buddy user you will see the same information but on a State basis with a link to this map. To be able to see the price of gasoline for the entire country certainly can help travelers and help you understand how what you are paying at the pump compares to other areas.

United States Gas Price Temperature Map

EDIT: Improved on April 1, 2006. TIP: Right click on the map for more information about each county(parrish/borough) or zip." Also, 6 levels of zoom. Top 3 levels zoom into county levels while further 3 levels of zoom go to zip code boundaries. This is the ultimate gas price map.

EDIT: A further improvement just noticed (as of 7/12/2006):

A Canadian Gas Price Temperature Map is now available at the following link:

Canadian Gas Price Temperature Map

But that is not all.....

How about a page of City and State Gasoline Price Averages for the USA and Canada with trends?

City and State Gasoline Price Averages

In addition, here is a link to a completely configurable historical gas price chart. You can compare historical gas prices of your state to the rest of the country or one state to another. Even price charts for cities can be compared. This is a useful chart.

Gas Price Historical Price Charts

I am not associated with gasbuddy.com other than being a user. But I will tell you that I check my local prices each day. I just noticed the above maps and wanted to share them with everyone here.

Edit 7/18/06:

Because this thread is seen by so many people because it is kept up at the top of the Main Forum, I thought it would be appropriate to share additional information that impacts the price of gasoline at the pump. The following link is from WTRG Economics which gathers data from industry, government and proprietary sources. The following link shows current price charts for Crude Oil Spot Prices, Gasoline wholesale price, Heating Oil Spot Price (wholesale) and Natural Gas Spot Price (wholesale price). It is updated daily.

Wholesale prices updated daily

Edit 2/1/07

GasBuddy.com has added a graphical interface to their price reporting. Take a look at the following link and enter your own zip code. You will then be able to see the locations of current gas prices in your local area. I have merely used Chicago as an example in the link.

Gas Prices and their locations

Edit 3/8/07

GasBuddy.com has recently added the Canadian National Gas Temperature Map. It is based on cents per liter. It operates the same as the USA version as you can zoom in.

Canadian National Gas Temperature Map

I hope you enjoy these resources.

Cheers

2. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Anyone here think this should be a sticky?

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sure. Why Not?

Thanks for the info. Pretty cool!

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The temp map is a very clever idea. Road trip to Casper, Wyoming!

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How very interesting.

Los Angeles and surrounding areas some of the highest gas prices.

They also pump oil there.

I've always felt California was getting the shaft. And don't give me that additive blarney. Oil companies have used that manure to justify shafting us for years.

6. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow, that's pretty neat! I've got it saved on my Favorites list now. :)

I like how orange/red California is. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Is this map a reverse image of the red state, blue state image from the last election?

8. jtullos

jtullos New Member

As much as this is a very useful site (which I used to frequent myself), I found some highly annoying spyware on my computer (since removed), which appears to have come from their site. I'd say at the time that I was about 85-90% certain that it came from there, but it could be from somewhere else. Either way, just a heads-up to everyone. Like I said, it is a very good site otherwise, and I may be safe there now that I've gotten the NoScript extension.

9. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Strange

It's strange that the states furthest away from the fuel delivery ports have the lowest prices?

Supply and demand, or the greedy oil companys at work?

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Where the level of competition is high, prices tend to remain close to the cost of production. Where there are monopolies, prices tend to be whatever the market will bear. While the oil industry is not a monopoly in the strictest sense, it is a near monopoly, and behaves more like a monopoly than like a competitive market.

"Gouging" is a value-laden word. Every company in a free market attempts to maximize its profit. Where there is competition, it must do this by trying to make a product people want, or by narrowing its profit margin to capture market share.

But when a very small number of companies dominate the market, their best strategy is to raise the prices until consumption falls off too much to sustain the level of profit.

As long as we allow industries critical to our national security and well-being to be operated on the basis of the greed motive (otherwise called the profit motive), the prices will remain as high as some critical percentage of the population is willing to pay. And private investors will pocket the excess.

So for example, after (or just before) a natural disaster, people are willing to pay more for gas, water, and other necessities, so dealers raise their prices. This is the way capitalism works, folks. If you don't like it, agitate for a more humane economic system, as I do.

11. jimgraffam

jimgraffam New Member

Very interesting. Interesting to see how the prices vary based on state borders.

It would be really cool if they normalized the prices without state and local taxes. Then we could really see how supply/demand drive the prices.

12. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

Yes, I know from living in NY & NJ, the difference IS state taxes... NY being among the highest in the US. & they have a nice little kicker. It's not a fixed cents per gallon, but a % of the wholesale gasoline price... so the higher the wholesale gas price goes, the higher the tax goes... The State of NY would have to really have brass ones to ever talk about windfall profits!!

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the average for states and cities is very misleading. because the bulk of people in my state live in a much higher than average area of seattle, the average of $2.53 is WAY off base.

the others are cool though

i also checked historical gas figures for the state and seattle. they say gas was 1.88 a gallon when i first got my car. i have tracked every penny spent on gas and my records for olympia area says it was $1.199. that difference is unreal.

i remember when i first got my car, gas had dropped more than a dollar a gallon from the time i ordered my car until i got the car. cant even begin to tell you how fast i became the joke of the day at work.

today... for some reason, people no longer seem to think its funny any more. hehehe...ya, they lost their sense of humor for some reason...

14. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I live in Wisconsin which currently has the highest state tax for gasoline, 31.1 cents per gallon.

Check out your own state:

Gasoline Tax Information

As you view the map above this chart will give you more info you need to better understand the amount money going to tax.

Ready to weep? Click the link above. :(

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    interesting chart... Washington states is wrong. its not 28 cents. it is higher than that. and its going up...not far enough im afraid, but at least its one small step in the right direction

16. BellBoy

BellBoy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for the map link...that's awesome... also very telling.

Not to derail the thread too much with my vent, but how can frickin' Wyoming have the some of the cheapest gas in the nation when it's a LANDLOCKED state in the middle of the country?? Transport costs would be greater...granted that the population is less, but you'd think that would raise the cost even more because of the lack of demand compared to...oh...say...LA for example!

Since I live in LA, you've just verified that painful feeling that I have when I fill up at the pump is an oil company arm wearing 6 Rolexes. :angry:

17. JJay

JJay New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    True!
    Current Washington fuel road tax rate is 31 cents per gallon for both gas and diesel.

18. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hmmm, why does diesel cost more than refined gasoline?

19. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think you get less diesel from a barrel than you do gas

20. BellBoy

BellBoy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Mar 27 2006, 04:12 PM) [snapback]231122[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, if I'm not mistaken, it didn't used to until very recently. I thought a couple of years back it was some of the cheapest gas you could buy. I don't know what made it go up so sharply...perhaps it was "refining costs" or "special additive costs"...or whatever the made up reason du jour is.