1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

United States moving to ban Gas Stoves

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by John321, Jan 10, 2023.

1. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    U.S. Considers Banning or Restricting Gas Stoves

"But scientists have cautioned for the past 40 years that these stoves, which can release unhealthy levels of pollutants like nitrogen dioxide, carbon monoxide, methane, and benzene, could be harming our health. Various research showing the health risks of gas stoves, from cardiovascular issues to cancer, is starting to sway public opinion and get more people concerned about the potential hazards."

"And gas stoves aren’t great for the environment, either: They emit so much methane each year that one study found those emissions were the greenhouse gas equivalent of 500,000 gas-powered cars. More than three-quarters of those emissions happened when the stove wasn’t even in use."

"In tandem with the growing body of research, some Democratic lawmakers have gotten increasingly louder about putting limits or restrictions on the appliances. Last month, a group of Democratic senators sent a letter to the chair of the Consumer Product Safety Commission asking for it to consider various requirements for gas stoves, including range hoods that meet certain standards and consumer-facing labels and education campaigns about the risks of gas stoves."

#1 John321, Jan 10, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We used to love gas stoves and ovens, but since we moved to where there is no gas,
    We’ve gotten used to electric, and now think it’s better.
    But government needs to do a better job of restricting runaway utilities, gouging consumers to provide high dividends to Wall Street

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As a kid 45 years ago I remember almost all the old houses my friends and family lived in had that distinctive smell of natural glass from the pilot lights for the furnace, water heaters and stove... Home heating technology has come a long way since then... Seems like a good idea to not have that type of air pollution in the enclosed space you spend the most time in from now on.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    This CPSC decision may be made based entirely on valid quantifiable evidence. Examples might include costs of appliance replacements, costs of disposal or recycling the previous stoves, and medical harm undiluted by other factors. That is sort of the Platonic ideal of govt decision-making, but it looks like a hard road to me.

Meanwhile there is a lot of political advantage to getting people to rally around the idea of govt overreach. In some form or another, that will be in the decision process.

Piping methane into enclosed living spaces it done to achieve several ends. Among them, cooking, space heating and gas fire log aesthetics (with a bit of space heating). I suppose only the first notably increases indoor concentrations of harmful gases. But piping always comes with some risk of leaking. Water damage ... is what it is. But methane explosions tend to remove entire structures along with any beings inside. This risk of harm might not get counted in.

Nor would it be entirely removed of all gas stoves went away and their supply lines capped off. Because the small but nonzero risk of leakage seems to persist..

5. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    All ready implemented by my County in Calif, for new construction.
    A**H***s.
    If I was a professional chef, or gourmet/ foodie, or even someone who enjoyed cooking and food tasting I would be livid.
    But we elected these people, all you can do is vote them out next time.
    Lets go Brandon and Newsom.

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It has taken four months, but I just scheduled the installation date for our new induction range. (replacing traditional electric)

Absolutely psyched to get it, we love cooking.

On the other hand this makes me worry about the beach house- no electricity there, generator far too small to consider and the existing gas range is about due for replacement...

AFAIK true professionals learn both. Not much gas available on cruise ships or at mountaintop ski resorts, lots of electric cuisine happens anyway.

But it's okay to have a favorite!

fuzzy1 and Classic Car Guy like this.
  7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    My most important kitchen pot is a pressure cooker. Might not think it matters much that water boils at 93 oC, but it really does. Unfortunately the pot is aluminum and disregards instructions from induction plate to wiggle its atoms.

So in general I cook with gas. Most interesting is inspectors visiting to check for leaks. Their little sniffers are impressive. I'm old-school chemistry and use soapy water to see bubbles. Not even close.

8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I recall that part of building code in Rio de Janeiro calls for a large ventilation window for the kitchen, and there can't be a way to seal it. I think my apartment there had an electric cooktop, but there was a gas water heater mounted on the wall in the kitchen.

The enforced ventilation was great during the zika scare.

9. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Induction cooktops rule!!
    We got ours with our new house (6+ years ago). The induction is incredibly responsive and we both find it better than the old fashioned electric cooktops or gas.

The health aspects were frosting on the cake:)

fuzzy1 likes this.
  10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    You inductees won't care, but the typical methane 'sniffer' works on an interesting principle - it does not detect methane :D

Rather, it is highly sensitive to small changes in oxygen concentration in air immediately above a semiconductor chip. So, if 50 ppm of methane appears, that means there is 21 (ish) percent of oxygen, less 50 ppm, because Mr. Methane pushed them out of the local gas volume. After some downstream signal processing, beep beep beep.

Darn clever says I, and I'd never have 'looked it up' but for this thread. (as I've said before...)

Zythryn and CR94 like this.
  11. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Then wouldn't it react the same to other contaminating gases (CO2, or CO for example), or to low oxygen level for some other reason?

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mine reacts to my breathing on it (even if I haven't been consuming volatile organics). Even breathing anywhere in its general direction. I have to deliberately exhale away from whatever I'm trying to test.

13. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    While adding an odor to natural gas has eliminated most, but not all, major explosions of houses and neighborhoods you're probably correct in assuming that the risk of that is not considered in this instance, though it should be considered.

Here's the most recent explosion I've read about: https://www.pennlive.com/news/2022/12/residents-evacuated-just-before-gas-explosion-flattened-their-susquehanna-twp-home-with-a-sonic-boom.html

14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    @CR94 you are completely correct according to my reading.

CR94 likes this.
  15. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Yep, that report that stoves was "leaking methane, even when off" - is highly questionable. Just because the tool you were using was a methane sensor, doesn't mean the stove was leaking methane. Did they validate the gas was actually methane with a secondary chemical test?
    There seems to be a lack of critical thinking skills these days. These research studies needs to go through peer review and findings reproduced and validated. New gas appliances no longer use pilot flames. They use spark or heat coil ignition and CPU controlled checks to ensure gas cut-off if no flame. While old gas appliances did spew lots of contaminates; that's not the case with the new stuff. As far as using a gas ignition source in an enclosed space; I'm sorry but that's just stupid... Most building codes forbids this; but I've seen a lot of filtering range hoods that don't ventilate to the building exterior.

I do live in California and I believe outlawing alternative fuel sources; simply makes us dependent on a single source - which sets up a system that is ripe for abuse. Don't even get me started on not enough electricity generating capability to move the state to EV only by 2030.:(:cry::sleep::whistle:

GregC1979 and Montgomery like this.
  16. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    A parade of lemmings is in progress yet again.

OVER reliance on an electric grid to provide all of our energy needs will likely bite us in the backside big time somewhere in the future.
    Russia is targeting the electric infrastructure in Ukraine.
    Terrorists have hit two sub-stations in the US in the last couple of months.
    Incompetence has halted air traffic again this morning and the same could happen to our electric grid.

Learn from history. Plan ahead and try to look BEYOND the obvious.
    Believe only half of what you SEE and NONE of what you hear.

Montgomery and BiomedO1 like this.
  17. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Yep, at it takes is an EMP and everything turns off.

18. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The ‘one source’ over reliance is gasoline, not electricity.

Electricity can be sourced locally (residential solar), from wind, hydro, Nat gas, nuclear, geo, coal, even oil.

As for an EMP, gas cars will shut down just like electric ones.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  19. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Gas furnace and water heater need a chimney but a gas stove not. I see the problem.

Trollbait likes this.
  20. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a bag of coffee roasted in a "zero emissions" all electric Bellwether roaster a few weeks ago. It was surprisingly good.

My home roasters are all electric, but can't say they are zero emissions.

If gas coffee roasters are banned in the US, we will have major coffee shortages.