1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

united states tax

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by iamric, Nov 27, 2005.

1. iamric

iamric New Member

I hear that the united states goverment is trying to tax all prius owners here a tax on our gas savings. They want to retrive the money that is being lost by us buying hybred vehicles. Any one else hear this? :angry:

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    who hasnt heard about it. several threads already going on it

3. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Yes, I did hear that
    I also heard that you will be taxed for the weight of the car due to the included battery weight. It's supposed to be pathole eliminating tax levied on all hybrid vehicles.

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Increased wight over what a Hummer. I am willing to pay for miles, emissions, gallons of gas, and curb weight as long as every one else is as well. I would object to just charging for miles.

5. kente777

kente777 New Member

Folks, this is a recommendation by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce . They are not a part of the legislative process. It is only a "stupid" recommendation which I'm sure will be rejected by Congress.

Ken

6. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    However they do it, it needs to be done across the board - nothing should be done specifically to hybrids.

It's a shame all the politicians care about is getting re-elected and not doing what's right for our country.

7. iamric

iamric New Member

Thank you Ken, I am glad to hear that. Like I said, I have heard but not verified anything. Go figure though that someone would even consider such a looney tune sort of thing.

8. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Did you really hear that? How about a tax on non-smokers for the cigarettes they didn't buy.

9. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  10. iamric

iamric New Member

I like that comment, but of course there are probally many more comments such as that. But to actually tax us because we are trying to do good is ridiculus.

11. jeneric

jeneric New Member

It's not because we're trying to do good, it's 'because we're using roads without paying our fair share. I know, I know, just trying to take some of the bias out. I think a much greater tax on studded tires needs to come long before this tho'.

12. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

i'm not terribly against this - if everyone bought a hybrid tomorrow, i would REJOICE and happily pay a per mile charge to make up for the fact that noone is using as much gas, so we aren't paying enough to keep the potholes at bay.

i do find it kind of silly that they give us one kind of tax break to get us to buy it, but can't cover costs, so they'd like to take it back elsewhere.

13. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I don't understand why this is getting so much attention.
    Nobody in Congress is interested in sponsoring this recommendation into a bill.

14. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

If they really want to make it all about "fair share" they need to tax by weight.

At least the way it is now, where the government taxes each gallon of gas, it is somewhat proportional to vehicle size and road impact...

But the Prius and cars like it aren't the most damaging cars on the road, by any chance.

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

LOL totally awesome response

16. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

I was just going to say weight. And what about tire width. And don't forget that all should be taxed, not just 1 type of vehicle.