1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Universal Remote Controls

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bigdaddy, Sep 21, 2006.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

I just received 2 Harmony 880 universal remotes. Amazon had them on sale for $159 (list $250). I was wary about paying that much for remote control, but seems to be worth it. I went from 3 remotes on one system and 6 remotes on another down to 1 on each system. It has color LCD, looks cool. Will give it the wife and kids test later this afternoon.

The remote is USB programmable, the logitech web site has most equipment you can ever imagine pre-programmed into the website, and you download into the remote. Was about 20 minutes each system to program.

I sort of miss the feel of my Tivo Peanut, but if I can get rid of all those remotes, it is worth it!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Been looking at that for a long time as I'd heard really good things about it. Had a chance to get one for $90 last year after rebates and just chickened out at the last minute. I juggle 5 remotes for my home theater system now and it's a PITA....the wife/kids issue could be a problem as my wife's already pretty remotephobic...but, if a great deal comes along again I might just have to grab it.

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 21 2006, 12:58 PM) [snapback]322885[/snapback]</div>
    $90 is an excellent price! I thought my $90 off was a good deal... Amazon had the best price on the web that I could find (a rare thing for amazon).

My decision came last week when I had 3 remotes on my lap just to watch a DVD. Home theater was dark and 2 of the remotes were not backlit.

The 880 also does home automation stuff, so if you have any X10 controls, I bet you could work with those as well...

4. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have an older MX 500 from Universal Remote Control Inc. I have one remote that does everything. They are way easier for the wife and kids than a bunch of separate remotes. One push of a button turns everything on and opens the DVD player. Here's a website that reviews remotes:

http://www.remotecentral.com/

5. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a harmony for a special pre-launch price at a computer Expo. I didn't like the fact that you had to be logged into their site to do the updating. It seemed really simple... just pick all your devices and how they are connected... but I just never got it excactly the way I wanted it. I'll have to dig it out and try again to see if it's been updated.

6. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 21 2006, 11:58 AM) [snapback]322885[/snapback]</div>
    I've had the Harmony 676 for a couple years now, wife has the same problem. The thing is GREAT, just push the button for what you want (TV, movie, etc.) and every component is set up properly, plus the remote buttons set to the proper functions. Programming is a snap as well, just a question and answer session on their web site, the remote is then updated via USB. Their web site has a test drive feature that you can try out setting one up. They list the 676 for $200, but they can be had at Sams Club for about half that.