1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unknown noise from dash, somewhere behind steering area

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by chrism07924, May 10, 2005.

1. chrism07924

chrism07924 New Member

If I drive slow and its quiet (windows up is better) I can hear what sounds like a muffled buzzing noise from somewhere inside the dash area, behind the steering wheel. I particularly hear it when I make sharp turns, usually left turns, but not always. Sometimes it happens as I'm slowing into a stop or just after the stop. The best way I can think to describe the sound (since buzzing isn't really it) is that it sounds like a fishing rod reel when you cast a line out slowly, and the spool is just unloading. Or, when you're reeling it in...like a gear winding. What is this?? I believe it may be related to the power steering being powered by the battery, and I'm hearing some kind of electrical device kick into action. It's pretty subtle, & if you had the radio on or had the window down, you'd most likely miss it. However, I have noticed it once or twice before but just ignored it. Now, just cruising around a parking lot looking for a space, I may have heard it about 3-4 times. Should I be concerned?

2. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Could it be the sound of the electric assist for the power steering. If so, you should hear it if you turn the steering wheel while stopped.

3. chrism07924

chrism07924 New Member

Hi Don, no, I specifically did that test and no sound. It seems to have a mind of its own, coming on a certain times for a couple seconds, usually when driving slowly and just before or after a turn. But it's happened approaching a stop at slow speeds and even after the stop. It's a clicking and winding like noise, like plastic gears spooling or something.

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Is that the same sound that occurs if you pump the brakes alot?

A whirring sound would be the electric steering wheel assist. It is an electric motor turning the steering wheel on demand from the torque sensor or parking assist (in Japan).

5. tristansh

tristansh New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    did you ever figure out the cause of that buzzing noise? I am experiencing something very similar and I am pretty sure it is a defect.