1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unlisted signal on dashboard! KEY IDENTIFIED IN VEHICLE

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Kenny Mann, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Kenny Mann

Kenny Mann New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2011 Prius. A s I was driving slowly along a country road today, the master malfunction signal came on and I got the message: KEY IDENTIFIED IN VEHICLE. Ha ha - of course there's a key in the vehicle, I'm driving the car, stupid. Then the overhead lights came on for a few seconds, then went off. This message is not listed in the handbook. I suspect something is wrong with the software and am afraid to drive further. Any suggestions? This is the first time I've had a problem with a Prius - had a 2005 for 6 years - never a problem.

2. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Check the hatch - it may not be fully closed...

ItsNotAboutTheMoney likes this.
  3. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Perhaps you need a new battery in the fob.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i get this once in a while, never have figured it out. it goes away and everything is fine. does seem obvious, doesn't it?:cool:

5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's how I got it.

This is the same error message that you get when you're outside the vehicle and try to loc it.
    The car automatically locks the doors when driving. If one isn't closed properly you get this message.

I think it's a bug in the programming, with the car responding to the failure to lock the vehicle with a check for the key. Obviously it shouldn't do the check when the car has tried to lock itself.