1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unplugging HV battery now results with the car not firing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by philmcneal, May 7, 2008.

1. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Lession learned never lend your car to ANYONE even if he's an instructor for hybrid automobiles. I lent my car to an instructor who wanted to take pictures and show the class how to discconect the high voltage battery and such. I agreed, (this was morning) and by the end of the day I have myself finding out that my car is not booting up even though claimed to follow Toyota's procedure. Now I'm carless and he's hoping he can fix it by tommorow, or else oh man i don't even know what to do...

How could disconnecting the 12 volt and the HV battery and then reconnecting not have the car boot up ugh, i don't even know why i even bothered to voleenteered just to save 3.50 on parking ****.

Please any advice!

2. claytons

claytons New Member

Are the dash lights coming on?, the red triangle? What do you see on the MFD?

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Recheck the HV connection...there's an extra "click" the retainer has to go or it wont' work...several people have had issues when the connector wasn't snapped quite all the way closed.

4. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    he says the dash lights are not even coming on, and that he tried to pull codes from the odbII port but there were none, man if they don't fix it by tommorow im going to be choked because i realize i signed a weavier saying "This school assumes no responisblity if anything happens"

ugh being carless is so stressful, too dependant on it. I guess that's why i wanted to become a tech so my car always run but this was not my fault!

2004 prius with 190,000 km on the odometer, i never had a problem until this incident and another incident where the car drove but the dash lights would refuse to come on! it was really werid i guess because i had jammed something between the trunk and the latch? Anywho i hope its that service plug click when i go see him tommorow about it, ugh if my car becomes undriveable its going to be a nice grad present for me a dead car :( since my last school day is Friday..

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's eminently clear that this guy isn't anything like a
    "hybrid instructor", and if you have access to his class roster
    you should attempt to make that clear to them. Competent
    techs don't return broken cars to customers, sheesh.
    _H*

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sounds like it's just the 12v dead/disconnected or the Dome fuse is out if you don't even get dash lights.

7. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    you think that if you saw a honda insight IMA inverter on the table to reassure you, but i guess that's not the case!

im going to walk (UGH) to school now, and find out the condition of my car, i will keep you updated, but i did suspect my 12 volt was dying evenually so who knows... will keep you guys updated thanks for the replies!

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Phil,

I think that Evan is on the right track. After the orange traction battery interlock switch is pushed to the vertical position, it has to be slid (either up or down, I forget which) to lock it in place.

If the car is totally lifeless then there must be a problem with the 12V auxiliary battery connections.

Good luck.

9. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    well done prius chat members, as soon as I mentioned the HV plug he admitted it was human error and didn't realize it was a two way connection, disconnecting the HV plug you wouldn't have noticed it in the beggining...

thank god, although its just annoying i have lost my 12 volt settings (R beep disable, clock, fuel ECU trim, and mileage)

on the bright side i just called my employer and since i'm graudating tommorow, i get to work on Monday on 8 salvage priuses that are already sold before they've been fixed! So im pretty stoked to get ready to work on the world's most fuel efficent car!!!

Thanks for the helpful insight, PC members are so wise I wonder if any techs out there will ever match their knowledge ;) THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: the guy was so apologetic i couldn't really grill him down so in the end i just kind of let it go, i just won't ever let that happen again

10. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I will certainly 2nd that !!! I spent Tuesday afternoon having my 08 with 1285 miles towed to the local Toyota dealer. The plug had not been inserted properly and had worked its way loose!!!

The first clue was the RED TRIANGLE OF DEATH!! Also the transmission would not shift into drive or reverse. Thankfully it will go into Neutral so it could be loaded onto the flatbed!!!

The fix was just plug it back in!!!

No Charge, just Royal Pain in da butt!!!

11. nomad

nomad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    -Just more confirmation that this site ROCKS!!!

--Nevermind the tremendous insight and "peace of mind" provided at times.

---Well done PC members!!

12. javata1

javata1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    i have this same problem but the plug is connected properly and the instument pannel lights us with the big triangle on and it won't go to D or R.