1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

unresolved traction control question...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by skdoula, Apr 25, 2009.

1. skdoula

skdoula Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hi all,
    I am new here and please rest assured I spent almost an hour unsuccessfully trying to find the answer to this question in the old threads before posting because I am sure many of you have been through this before...
    :rolleyes:

So my husband and I are contemplating a 2009 Package 2 Prius. One of the only remaining concerns we have is regarding the "controversial" traction control. I have been reading and reading about this here and elsewhere and am feeling very unresolved...

We live on a hill in central Vermont, where 5 months of the year we are dealing with snow and ice of the significant variety! We are big fans of good studded winter tires so of course they would be mounted on the prius by Thanksgiving at the latest! But even with the good tires...I am still concerned about all this "stopping when trying to pull out on a slippery surface" and "losing momentum going uphill" etc etc.

I can think of at least 5 spots within a 1 mile radius of our house where this could be a potentially life threatening situation for myself and my family. Obviously concerning! But yet I do see Priuss' all over the place so it must not be an overwhelming problem. You would never know by how many scary stories people have posted over the last 5 years!

So my ultimate question is...did Toyota really fix the not-so-great Traction Control by the time the 2009 came out, or does the TC still cause the wheels to completely stop spinning when they hit slick conditions????

I hate to re-hatch this egg. But this is a real and scary concern for those of us who want to make the switch but live in the North!

Thanks for your wisdom on the subject.

Be well,
    Sarah

madmikesmech likes this.
  2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had an 04 and now drive an 09. I see an improvement in the traction control with the 09. The real key to driving the Prius in snow is to have the proper tires. In Vermont you will definitely need good snows. The OEM Goodyear Integrity tires are not suitable for snow. Some will argue that the Integrity is not good for anything.

3. skdoula

skdoula Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes...I am a huge believer in good (studded) snow tires. Thank you for emphasizing this...it bothers me that so many people think they aren't necessary (often those are the folks who complain the most about how bad the roads are!).
    We always use them...even on our Subaru. But I also know enough to realize that even the best winter tire can be overcome by the conditions which is why something like Traction Control is helpful but only if it works in a manor which is safe and helpful! But it sounds like your experience is that they did improve upon it. That is reassuring. I hope to hear from more folks!! Thanks in advance!!

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Traction control was improved somewhere between the 2004 and 2006 model years. It's improved, but the Prius is not a Jeep. If you have those sort of conditions, consider a Subaru. Some Prius drivers in your situation drive a winter truck, and save the Prius for the rest of the year.

Tom

5. Romeo

Romeo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I live in Calgary and we have a lot of snow and ice on the roads and the winter lasts 6 months. I was very concerned about traction control system for the same reasons you are but after this winter I have 110% confidence in this system on my 2008 Prius. With a set of very good winter tires (non-studded!) I had no problems through the entire winter whatsoever. Not even once. One particular episode was when I went to the country side after a large wet snowfall and had to drive through very heavy and mushy snow mess appx one foot thick. At some point I thought I would had to stop and start moving car back and forth to get through but I never had to do this. This is when I experienced traction control fully working, slowing the rotation and picking up again but never completely stopping. I would not be able to do it better on a car without this system. And I never had problems on the icy roads either, even going uphill. I am changing to good summer tires now and I am sure I will never experience those "stopping when trying to pull out on a slippery surface" episodes again (I did have couple last summer on the stock tires so I know how dangerous it might be).

So, the bottom line, as many others pointed in previous posts, the problem is not in the traction system, it is in the tires. With the stock tires (I think it's Integrity), you may still experience this problem even on 2009 Prius. Change the tires, and you will be looking for the icy spots in winter as a piglet for the mud.

6. skdoula

skdoula Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    great! thanks for the reassurance. we actually have a '96 subaru with 200k miles on it. unfortunately, it is the one of our two cars (the other is a tiny '98 civic that gets great mileage) which needs to be replaced. we aren't willing to do another subaru until they clean up their act in regards to mpg. i know their all wheel drive system takes more fuel...but seriously...the technology exists to raise their mpgs and it is frustrating that they haven't done it yet. in fact...the new wagons get about 7 miles LESS per gallon than our old one! ok...i will stop rambling. but the point is that we are hoping to stick with the honda...add the prius...and maybe have a bit more of a challenge in the winter, but yet feel a lot better about our footprint. (not to mention drive something that isn't 10 years old and not that reliable!!).

so as long as we can do it safely (which Romeo is making me feel pretty darn good about!), then we will probably go for it.

thanks!!!

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Does the Civic get you through the snow? If you do okay with the Civic, you will be fine with a Prius. Our 2006 Prius, with good tires, does as well as any front wheel drive. As I said before, it's not a Jeep. You can't wade trough deep snow like you can with a big truck, but it does very well. Our model has VSC, and with that it is the most stable winter car I have ever driven. It tracks straight down the road regardless of conditions. You have to remind yourself that the roads are slippery.

If the Civic works for you, the Prius will too.

Tom

8. skdoula

skdoula Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes...the civic does fairly well with aggressive tires. Certainly not like the subaru...but we can get up and down our hill without any major problems (knock on wood!). but since it is older...it doesn't have Traction Control. we are both experienced drivers so we know how to deal with the rough conditions. my concern after reading the prius TC horror stories is that no matter what a good driver I am and no matter how much the prius can actually get around with good tires on it...that the TC will dictate the mobility of the car vs. the driver. old cars aren't that great...except sometimes I think they leave the driving up to the driver a bit more. as long as the driver knows what they are doing...i generally think this is a good idea! but don't get me wrong...i am certainly looking forward to upgrading from a '96 to an '09 and am willing to make some sacrifices in order to enjoy some luxuries!!!! as long as it is safe....

yeah...we already ruled out midnight snow-surfing when we saw the clearance on the prius. ;) oh well. thankfully our road crews do a decent job of keeping the snow down to reasonable levels for the most part.

thanks!

9. jackalope

jackalope Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    We are in central Vermont and have a 2008. Two winters and no trouble for us. The first winter we used the OEM tires and used the Subaru on the bad days.

This year we put non-studded snow tires on the Prius and had no trouble. There are some scary hills around that I have avoided on the worst days. The Subaru is the choice for those conditions.

This year we added a pug in heated seat cushion to the Prius. That was a nice $15 upgrade ;)

10. Stefx

Stefx Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Same here

One winter with X-ice 2 winter tires (non-Studded) and no problem.
    Still no 4x4, but about as good as average FWD cars with winter tires.
    On my 2008 Prius, keeping the gas pressed will pulse-spin the tires, eventually getting the car out.

We haven't done formal stats, but those that refuse to fit winter tires on are usually the ones bringing the controversy on.
    I've personally never kept all-season tires on in a winter. Actually it's now a law in our province (Quebec)... winter tires are mandatory during the winter. There are similar laws in Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden and Finland).

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm surprised you're going for a 2009... I don't think I'd be able to resist waiting a few weeks to get a 2010. Is there a big rebate incentive?

11. skdoula

skdoula Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Stefx...thanks for your comments re: winter. Good to hear.

I wish we could swing a 2010. If you really want the whole story...you can search in the 2010 forum for my post about leasing a 2009. http://priuschat.com/forums/2010-toyota-prius/60835-actual-cost-dealer-2010-vs-2009-a.html

Leasing is ussually a rip-off...but in this case the lease incentive for the 2009s isn't a waste of money and is really the only way we can get into a car worth more than $3000 bucks. And after years and years of old cars...you can imagine how excited we are to maybe be able to get into a new prius!

Thanks!
    Sarah

12. Nortnarg

Nortnarg Prius~To go before

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I have a new 09 and had my first snow experience some time ago.

We had a heavy wet snow of at least a foot deep and more in places. I had to go pick up the grand kids that live on dirt roads in a hilly area. No one had been on these roads yet, since the snow, as it was early Saturday morning. No tracks to follow, just fresh white blinding snow!

I could not tell where the road was in most spots, just trying to gauge where the ditches should be from the telephone poles etc.

So here I am brand new car, not used to how it handles and figuring I am in for more than the car or I can handle. I was scared and I am a pro driver making my living driving tractor trailers.

The Prius as you know,sits quite low. At one time I hit a dip in the road and the snow came flying up over the hood!! I was going slow, about 10 to 15 at the most. I am thinking I need to find a farmer close by to get help as I doubt this little car is going to stay on the road, or will get stuck, like a stick in the mud.

Well to my surprise this little car never slipped a wheel in the deep snow. Going up hils and down on rutty narrow roads. Fantastic!! I was impressed with my new toy!

When I got back out to the main highway, I had to enter where I could not see over a hill and needed to accelerate rapidly to gain speed to avoid getting rear ended.
    The road here was snow and ice covered, but had been plowed.
    I tromped the pedal and the VSC light came on with the slippery road icon, I felt the tires trying to spin and the vsc controlling that spin.
    The car stayed in a straight line, I still accelerated quickly, and I was on my way back to metro roads.

Overall, just very impressed with the handling of the Prius, especially in conditions where I was bumper deep in snow!

This I did with the stock Integrity tires, the car had less than 1000 miles and I was upset that I had decided to make this trip after getting out that day.

You sound like you have a lot of good common sense and respect for slick roads, and I don't think you will have any trouble with the Prius traction control.

13. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hey skoula, why don't you go rent a 2009 and give it a try? Cheap dollars to provide an answer to a potentially expensive question.