1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unstoppable videos in web pages?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Feb 18, 2012.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A few times lately I've encountered something I don't recall seeing before: I go to a web page, such as a news article, and a video advertisement starts up, and I cannot find any way to stop or pause or eliminate it.

Generally there is a caption saying "Your video will start after the advertisement." But typically I don't want to see a video. I've got no problem if they want to make the video dependent on letting the advertisement run, but I want the ability to choose NOT to watch either.

As it is, I just close the window immediately.

But what's this with my not having the option to stop or pause an obnoxious video???

Is there a browser setting that would block these things from specific web sites?

I'm using Chrome on OS X 10.6.8.

2. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) Install FireFox
    2) Get the NoScript add-on.

Problem solved.

3. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I quit using Firefox when it went berserk.

If I block scripts, what else won't work? I don't want to block everything, just videos that start by themselves.

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Same here concerning Firefox. I used it for years over IE, no problems. Then, they came out with a new version or something and since then, even with updates it never worked right anymore. Chrome has been my goto browser since and I couldn't be happier to be honest. I know of the videos you speak of Daniel but I deal with them and don't click on them of course. I don't want to even begin thinking of getting a bunch of add ons again as it may cause more problems as updates rol out etc. In the end, It's not a big enough deal for me.

5. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The videos I'm speaking of start without being clicked on! I go to a web page expecting a news item in text, with ads also in text which I can ignore, and instead, a video ad starts up all by itself.

Legitimate video content, such as YouTube or Vimeo or the videos that people often paste into threads here on Prius Chat, do not start until and unless I click on the video itself. But these damned ads start all by themselves.

I'd like to be able to tell my browser "Don't start streaming media (video or audio) unless I click on it." And since it's my computer and my browser, I should be able to stop any streaming media at any time with another click.

(I've sent this comment to Chrome Feedback via their feedback form.)

6. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    name a website has unstoppable video. I using firefox version 3 and adblocker plguin. Adblocker can block individual video stream without blocking all other stuff you want. I tried noscript and it blocked almost everything and I hate it.

7. lamebums

lamebums Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I waffled from Opera to Firefox to Chrome and finally back to Firefox.

I'd switch to Firefox if possible.

Adblock Plus is far more effective on Firefox than it is on Chrome. (I can only surmise Google did this deliberately - that's one of the only ways they make money, is through ad's.)

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Most recently it happened on a Yahoo news page. The article turned out to be a video story, rather than a text story. The video started automatically, and there was no way to close the video and there was no button to stop or pause it during the advertisement. The first time I encountered one of these, the pause button appeared only after the ad was done.

As I mentioned, Firefox went berserk on me. I won't be going back to FF any time soon. And besides, several web sites I use regularly do not render properly in FF. I had to use Safari for those. But I don't like Safari. Chrome works.

9. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't mind the ads before the news story because someone's gonna support the site and the story. However, if there's a annoying video playing, I just block it with adblockplus. Also some videos with stop or pause button that don't work, It's faster to block those too rather than wait for the site to stop streaming them.
    Edit: For sites that FF won't display properly or won't display at all, I use IE Tab Plus. It uses IE rendering engine but without the IE's security flaws.

10. caffeinekid

caffeinekid Duct Tape Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I too use FF with various plugins (flash/ad/video/tracking blockers) and have had zero issues running a W7 64 system, but I have in the past come across those stupid videos that will stream if you inadvertently mouse over them. Are these loading whether or not you mouse over them?

1 person likes this.
  11. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this, and related security issues in Chrome also evidence that Google engineers are incompetent?

12. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I use an extension for Firefox named "flashblock". 99% of the obnoxious videos I see are using the flash plugin.

It's very easy to right click on the offending video and allow it to play or whitelist it when you want the flash to work. I leave it blocking anything I don't want and allow anything I do.

13. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    I moved to Chrome from FF a few months ago. Like others, I found that FF is now so bloated it's becoming unusable (never mind IE). I have two (count them: 1, 2!) and only two extensions installed: adblock plus, and ScriptNo...the Chrome equivalent of NoScript.

If I'm on a site and don't see or have access to everything I want, I click on the ScriptNo icon and review what it's blocking. I can then choose the site(s) that I WANT to allow access. You can chose to allow Temporary through Allow, up to Trust (which allows everything in that one domain). I NEVER have unwanted videos start up. I can allow them when/if I chose.

The only thing I dislike about Chrome is that if I have multiple tabs open and click the close-window button, it does so--immediately...FireFox would at least warn me that I was closing multiple tabs.

If I come across a web site I absolutely need to use and Chrome + extensions won't let me, I hold my nose and crank up IE. :mad:

14. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I used Firefox. It also started going wacky on me, as well as acting so slow due to bloat, so I switched to Chrome. Then THAT started acting wacky, so I switched back to Firefox. By then, they fixed whatever it was that was making it act wacky, and was much faster (not faster than Chrome, but not noticeably slower, either). So Firefox I'm using now.

I'm not knocking Chrome; it's a fine browser. In fact, just about anything that isn't IE is a fine browser.

15. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm surprised that no one mentioned Opera browser. I only use the Mini Opera on my phone. It seems to work well. Never tried Opera on my PC.

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No one browser is perfect, and none of them stay the same. The Web is a moving target, and the browsers move with it, or at least try to.

I use Opera on my phone, and Firefox and Chrome on Linux. Mostly I use FF because of the superior plug-ins, but a few sites have issues with FF. Next week it will be different. Like it or not, we have to accept change or go back to newspapers.

Tom

17. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Opera is the browser the Wii uses. I tried it on a PC and Mac; it's pretty good, but I'm happy with Firefox and Chrome and see no need to switch.

For my phone I use Safari, and for my iPad I use Atomic Web Browser.

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks. I've installed ScriptNo. In the settings page, there are a bunch of things blocked by default. (I attach a partial screen shot.) I have no idea what any of this means, or whether it will affect the sites I want to use. For example, I think frames and iframes are legitimate page elements in a lot of sites. (???)

Any suggestions on changes to the defaults for a beginner?

P.S.: I noticed a change already on this site: When I choose "manage attachments," instead of a pop-up I get a new window in its own tab. I think maybe I like that. Not sure yet.

What's happening next week???

Attached Files:

19. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have been using Firefox for years. Which browser is best for any given week depends on an individual definition of best and haven't found any of the other mainstream browsers to have enough of an advantage to switch to them during their week of glory. I have Chrome and Internet Exploder on my system so I can make sure my website views correctly in them but don't usually bother with them except for that. I do have the IE Tab+ add in in FF for the rare site that won't render properly in my FF setup.

1 person likes this.
  20. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    I've pretty much left the defaults as-is. The major thing I've done is Whitelist MOST (not all!) of the sites I visit normally. Usually banking/credit card sites...Priuschat.

When you whitelist a site, it allows most of the items blocked by default.