1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unsure about 2010? Rent a Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bwilson4web, Jun 9, 2009.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you are still 'unsure' about the 2010 Prius, the best answer is to call around the local rental companies and rent a Prius. You'll get an NHW20 (2004-2009) and for a hundred bucks or so, get to learn how the systems work.

If you find the experience unpleasant, fine, chalk it up to experience and find a car that matches your expectations. But if you like it, the 2010 is even more (or I think a lot more since I've only driven the NHW11 model, 2003 Prius.)

The Prius will not be for everyone and that is as it should be. Rent one and if you hate it, you'll know why. In 2001, we tested by the NHW11 and settled on an Echo. But when it came time to replace my commuting car, a 91 Camry, the NHW11 Prius was known and an easy choice.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

2. rcsting

rcsting Toyota Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My Local dealer just got in his 2010 Prius rental cars. I was renting their 2009's before my 2010 came in. Great idea on renting to learn about the Prius.

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius are now even available in Australia's rental fleet!!
    Good advice Bob, a bit like getting a pre purchase inspection but you do it yourself on a different car.

Bob, if you want a drive of a 2004 you can drive mine if your in the area.

4. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My dealer also has a few 2010 Prius rentals (with big stickers on the lower back window that say Sunnyvale Totota rental car--smart), and they were right out front the day I went to have my door auto lock/unlock reprogrammed.

5. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "Call around" is the key. It's difficult to find a Prius when I'm on business or vacation travel. We rented a Premium car in Chicago a couple weeks ago from National and although they did not list a Prius for that location, and claimed to not have one, when we picked up our car there was at least one Prius on the lot available (I wish we had taken it instead of the Lincoln - long story that, but we though we'd need the room for relatives). As an Emerald customer for National I plan to work that connection heavily in the future to make SURE they either really don't have one, or get the one they claim not to have :D

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Mostly I'm thinking about the folks who come here without any Prius experience or just a sales-critter "drive around the block." There is something about driving the car and sleeping over night to drive it the next morning that 'knocks the newness off.' You can really understand what it does without being limited to just first and often inaccurate impressions.

Of course the follow-up for the next "Jetta TDI" advocate is to ask, "Great! Where can I rent one?"

Bob Wilson