1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unsure about whether or not to go for one

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Bibble, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Bibble

Bibble Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, here's another "Whether or not thread". For reference, I'm in the UK.

Me and my partner are currently looking at refreshing the car situation. We got a financed Aygo a few years ago, because she was still learning to drive, and was the one working (me being still in education). We're now looking at a bit of a cash injection, and for something with a little more flexibility, and for one a piece, as jobs and things get further away. She's hankering after the mini she's always craved, and I'm looking at sticking with toyota, as they seem to top the reliability spectrum.

My draws to the prius line:
    1. I like the idea. Can't say I'm massively invested in the "Green" thing, but it's usually nagging away at the back of my mind.
    2. Toys. From what I can tell, they tend to come with most of the bells and whistles, and give lots of fun data that, as a geek, I tend to quite enjoy.
    3. Efficiency. Not paying extortionate amounts in fuel is usually quite nice. The emissions also mean incredibly low tax and permit charges.
    4. Reliability. From reading around, they seem to be just stupidly reliable (the MOT statistics have it at around an 80% pass rate across the board, which is incredibly high).

What I'm not sure about is whether it is worth the money on what might be a somewhat unknown quantity. I'm looking at probably something like an 05-07 with 50-80k on the clock, and wondering whether that's the point at which things are going to start to fail. Would I be better off with a similarly priced Auris or something, that's a little higher spec?

2. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a 2008 T4 Gen 2 Prius from Arnold Clarke last Sept and 7.5k miles later it's fine. I'm relatively new to Prius ownership and am happy so far. 50+ mpg and low tax (GB£10 in UK)

Did an engine oil & filter change and CVT fluid change at the weekend. Seems to be a very low maintenance and low cost car

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat. you'll find that they are very reliable, especially in the 75 - 150,000 mile range and mostly beyond as well. there is always a very minor concern for a few expensive items to be prepared for in the off chance they need repairing after the warranty period, and they can run up to a few thousand pounds, however unlikely. all the best with your decision and inquiries!(y)

4. Skateruk

Skateruk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Bibble, I'm a new Prius owner also and bought a Gen II (T Spirit) at the end of Oct 13. It had done 95K and cost me just under £6000. I loved the car and the Prius concept and must admit I had poo pooed the Prius in the past!!
    Having had the Gen II for a couple of months I started to check out the Gen III and realised I should've had one of those straight away as they are superior to the II ie bigger engine, more MPG, No Tax, more room etc etc.
    Anyway, to cut a long story short, I traded up 2 weeks ago and can only say that the Gen III is fabulous!!
    If your budget can stretch to it go for the Gen III and make sure it is a T Spirit, otherwise you will not get all the bells and whistles! If you can't make the III go for the best II T Spirit with a full TSH. If you are prepared to haggle strongly go to a dealer, not necessary a local one! My dealer in Nottm is a real rip off merchant. After much research I went to Vantage in Birmingham who did a great deal by chopping £1000 off the asking price and giving me more for my old car!!
    Check them out as they have a good selection of II and III Prii
    Good luck and welcome to Prius...... you will love the car, whichever you go for.

5. Bibble

Bibble Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To an extent, perhaps, but the Gen IIs seem to be around the £5k mark, while the Gen IIIs start at around £7.5k-£8k. I see what you mean about the lower emissions, bigger engine, etc. But I'm not sure it's worth half-again as much for the limited benefit I'd get out of it. As I said, we're coming from an Aygo, so it'll be a fair jump in power anyway (although, due to their size, they're quite nippy off the line), so I can't really see much point in pushing for the next generation.