1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unsure if I need a new HBattery or just the computer inside of the one I currently have?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MSouthard, Jan 19, 2017.

1. MSouthard

MSouthard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A while back I posted about my Prii not going into ready mode. Long story short, I was told to get the codes.

I ordered a code reader myself, and got no codes except for a temperature sensor on the passenger side dash. I was confused, something is up with my Prii so there should have been a code or more.

A professional came to look and diagnose the car as well and got the same results.

When checking the volts of the HBattery we noticed that one of them was displaying as low as 1V, but the ohms were solid and steady, which usually means the cell hasn't lost any or much voltage.

The professional is coming back to put in a new HBattery computer to see if it fixes the issues, and if not he says I need a whole new Hbattery.

Does this sound accurate or has anyone had to replace that computer before and have any information or advice?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like you have a crappy code reader that's not hybrid capable. Get a mini Vic on amazon. It has Toyota techstream.

And I haven't a clue what your talking about with a cell that only has 1 volt but the ohms were good. If there's a cell in the pack that only has 1 volt the pack needs to be rebuilt or buy a new battery.

3. MSouthard

MSouthard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is not the case. I thought that perhaps that was the case at first, but I had a professional check it out with Toyota products.

4. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It would have been better to just continue your first thread. Now no one knows the past issues you had with the car.

Can you now get the car to start by disconnecting and re connecting the 12 volt battery?

She means one module block was reading 1 volt but it's IR (ohms) was reading an acceptable value.

I really doubt the battery computer is at fault. While your mechanic is messing around with the computer it would be easy to measure the module voltages.

Brad

5. MSouthard

MSouthard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am still new to the app and wasn't sure how to even get back to my first post...

The mechanic is going to be checking both on the same day.

6. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    With the battery computer removed he should check for voltage between the battery terminals and the case. With the computer removed there should not be voltage measured. I suspect there will be because your battery has a high voltage leak.

Brad

m.wynn likes this.