1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unsure if struts and control arms bushing need to be replaced.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DSully, Aug 13, 2024 at 10:04 PM.

1. DSully

DSully New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I took my 2008 in for an oil change, and the dealership told me that my struts and control arm bushings needed immediate attention. The service summary states that struts should be replaced with new mounts and insulators due to age and wear, and the control arm bushings are cracking. I had the sway bar links replaced due to them leaking, the car now has less squeaking/noises when turning. The car has 241,586 miles on it. The dealership and a few local shops quote around $2100 - 2300 for both services plus an alignment. Is this something I really need to have done? I'm not well versed enough to tell if this is something that actually needs immediate attention or if this is the service center upselling me. I have attached the images the service center sent me.

102000205122224.jpg
    102000205122222.jpg 102000205122220.jpg Screen Shot 2024-08-13 at 6.33.06 PM.png Screen Shot 2024-08-13 at 6.32.54 PM.png

#1 DSully, Aug 13, 2024 at 10:04 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2024 at 12:24 PM
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have two sitting right out front of my window that drive everyday with the exact and I mean exact same conditions that are shown in your pictures and they don't make a noise peep or a sound and we drive the car it doesn't drive us and we are off road a bit not sport off-road just following fence lines on trails and working out that way not doing any 4x4ing and these cars don't make a peep their suspensions are flat granted almost like a go-kart but they don't make any noise. And then the one I just did put the suspension front and rear shocks and the lift kit on and all that it creaks and groans a little but I know what it is. And I'll get that taken care of directly it's just some adjustment but the shocks and struts made a huge difference in the way the car takes bumps and speed bumps and all of that The struts at some point will be worth doing easy peasy no problem If you're getting older you can lift the thing up with some spacers that makes it a lot easier to get in and out of those control arm bushings they can get a lot worse and if they're not making any noise and there's no slop in your alignment guy isn't complaining don't listen to these other guys that would be my advice You got a good ways to go.