1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unusual behavior in starting the car?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by chanterelle, Mar 8, 2007.

1. chanterelle

chanterelle Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have started noticing a problem starting the car.

Last year, I had instances where when I push the Start Button, the radio turns on, but the car turn does not go into Ready mode. The gear indicator area of the dash might not turn on (be lit). I was stepping on the brake, so it wasn't just going into Ig-On.

Lately, the dash is totally black, as if it does not turn on at all. The radio turns on, but that's it. I have to push the start button a second time for it to turn on and go into ready mode. I am 100 % sure that I am stepping on the brake, and SOMETHING (the radio) is turning on, so it is not like the battery is dead or there is a bad connection anywhere.

What could be causing this? I thought that even if I went into Ig-On by pushing the Start Button without stepping on the brake, the dash would still light up, but not go into Ready. This has been intermittant, so I am not sure whether the tech will see it when I take it in for her next service.

My car is a 2004, with approx 31,000 miles.

2. nwpa

nwpa New Member

Is there a switch in the brake system that "tells" the computer that the brake pedal is pushed?

If so, that might be the problem.

Please keep us posted and good luck.

3. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Perk @ Mar 8 2007, 11:20 AM) [snapback]402152[/snapback]</div>
    You need to push the brake pedal firmly when starting the car. The 'switch' is pressure sensitive. To find out how hard you need to push, put the car in Drive and watch the MFD arrow display while pushing the brake pedal lightly and then harder. If you push hard enough, there will be no arrows to the wheels. Push too lightly and the car will attempt to creep. I think you need the same force on the pedal (no arrows) when starting the car, otherwise you would be attempting to start it in 'creep mode' and it refuses to do that for safety reasons.

4. nwpa

nwpa New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chanterelle @ Mar 8 2007, 02:37 AM) [snapback]402134[/snapback]</div>

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably a bad brake sensor...I think there was a recall on that a while back on '04s...did you have that done?

Only other thing I can think of is if your 12v battery is getting weak, but most people describe more odd behavior than that.

6. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Evan is right.

The recall to replace the brake light switch was important. The contacts on some of the original switches tended to oxidize preventing good contact. Without contact, your brake lights would not light when you apply the brakes and starting would be problematical since your Prius requires that the brakes be applied before it will go into "Ready" mode. This was a simple replacement which many dealers were able to do "while you wait" at no charge.

This was characterized as a "Safety Recall."

7. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chanterelle @ Mar 7 2007, 11:37 PM) [snapback]402134[/snapback]</div>
    That last paragraph indicates the problem is not associated with the brake switch. It may be just a bad "Start Button" contact or a relay associated with the start sequence. As you may still be under warranty - at minimum you should go to the dealer and log the complain so its in his records. If they can't find it, keep taking it back... and creating multiple logs.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Mar 8 2007, 12:14 PM) [snapback]402298[/snapback]</div>
    To me that sentece makes it more likely it's the brake switch since we know they were faulty and hence the warranty...unless she's already had it replaced, and even that doesn't guarantee it couldn't still be faulty.

9. chanterelle

chanterelle Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Mar 8 2007, 06:40 AM) [snapback]402179[/snapback]</div>
    My car wasn't in the range to have this recall done, so no, I didn't have it done yet. I will bring it up the next time that she is serviced.

I didn't think it was the battery, since the radio is turning on.

I am quite sure that I am pressing the brake pedal hard enough to start the car. I have started her for two and a half years without problem, and generally do not remove my foot from the brake pedal until I have put it into drive or reverse, and need to accelerate. It's just a habit, which is why it is so noticable that the car is not powering on.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

10. chanterelle

chanterelle Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I took her in, and they found code B2795 stored in the ECU. I was told that it meant that it was an unrecognized smartkey.

I asked about the Brake Sensor recall, but was told that it didn't apply to my car.

The Service Writer said that the tech also didn't get power to turn on when he pressed the Start button once, but that it might be because the key was too far away from the sensor. The key was in the 2nd cupholder (not the rear seat cupholders), and had a new battery put in less than 4 months ago. It did start the second time he pressed the Start button.

The Service Writer said that when the tech couldn't get it to turn on, the radio did not turn on either, so I don't think it was the same thing as what I was reporting, since for me, the radio always turns on, but nothing else.

Any other suggestions (besides finding a new dealer/service location)?

11. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chanterelle @ Mar 13 2007, 11:16 PM) [snapback]405246[/snapback]</div>
    Let's put a new battery in the FOB (or better yet, try the other FOB with a brand spanking new battery from a store that moves those batteries a lot - that way you are sure it is not stale).

Finally, make sure there is nothing electronic around the cup holder such as a cell phone or another FOB or some kind of garage door opener... i have experienced interference from competing electronic gadgets (and I think the book warns you about them).

I am sure this is frustrating... try the above for a week - and see if that makes the intermittent problem go away.

12. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chanterelle @ Mar 13 2007, 11:16 PM) [snapback]405246[/snapback]</div>
    OK, I will not suggest it, but now I am curious about which dealer failed to diagnose your problem.

13. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did they insert the FOB into the key slot? If not it may be a bad FOB IMHO.

14. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try this: turn off Smartkey and stick the fob in the slot the next
    few times you start up, and see if the flakiness is still there.
    That will or won't eliminate that factor.
    Next, someone needs to actually get in there and SCOPE the brake
    switch, both sides [there are two sets of contacts], or listen to it
    with the type of audio tester shown here, and replace the switch if
    it shows signs of poor contact.
    _H*

15. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Mar 14 2007, 09:20 PM) [snapback]405850[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting research Hobbit.

I'm not familiar with the term "H-Bridge". Is that an electrical bridge of some kind?
    If so, I'd assume the H is descriptive of the the arrangement.

Dave M.

16. chanterelle

chanterelle Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Mar 14 2007, 11:27 AM) [snapback]405529[/snapback]</div>

Actually, it was the largest one in Southern California -- Longo in El Monte.
    And to top it off, they lowered all the tires to 32 psi after they rotated them.